Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to match timber?

benjiC1980
Just Starting Out

How to match timber?

0A2FF3DA-5B6D-4567-B25D-380C5B54A924.jpeg

Hi all. I’m looking to build something similar to the concrete and timber table featured in one of the Bunnings inspiration vids but am concerned about matching the legs (DAR post) to the frame as all colours appear slightly different online. Should I just be using the decking planks? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to match timber?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @benjiC1980. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It is not particularly obvious in the picture you have supplied but the timber they have used in the project is indeed different colours. Those decking slats used for the shelf are much lighter than the DAR posts. This was even more evident in Step 22 before they stained the timber. I've included a picture below which shows the difference.

To ensure a close colour match of all the timbers I would encourage you to use a stain with a colourant added instead of the natural stain used in the tutorial. A product like Cabot's 1L Water Based Merbau Garden Furniture Oil would be suitable. You might like to give the lighter coloured decking timber two coats and the DAR posts only one.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Stain.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects