Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint outdoor plastic furniture?

DIYMum
Having an Impact

How to paint outdoor plastic furniture?

Hi Brains Trust

I'd like to upcycle this outdoor bench with paint. Is there a specific paint that's best for this? Could I use Rust-oleum Chalked paint? Still deciding whether to go bright and bold or pastel, but leaning towards pastel today :smile: Would I need to prime first?

I've also got a couple of chairs that I'd like to paint as well.

Thanks! 20220504_114831.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint outdoor plastic furniture?

Hello @DIYMum

This looks like a fantastic revamp project to be undertaking. However, painting plastic is one of the trickiest things to do. I suggest giving the plastic seat a thorough washdown with dishwashing liquid in combination with a Mr Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush. Your goal is to remove all the dirt and debris that's attached itself to the seat. 

Once the chair has dried off, I suggest using Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint. Once the primer has hardened you can spray paint it with any colour you like. I also recommend using Rust-Oleum 340g 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Satin Blossom White Spray Paint. It has the primer mixed in so you can use this spray paint directly onto the plastic. 

My number one tip for your project is to make sure to expose the seat to the sun so that the paint will harden under UV exposure. If you only air dry the seat in the shade, the paint will take a long time to reach its maximum strength. Please note that the products that I've mentioned will work on many plastic surfaces, but it is always important to test them for compatibility.

Here is a handy link: How to use spray cans

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYMum
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL! I'll pop into my local Bunnings and check out the colours available in the Rust-Oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint+Prime as it does both jobs at once. Weather may be against me doing it this weekend though 😒

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @DIYMum, and please reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

Finally had some good weather and have been able to get this project finished :smile: For the bench seat I used Rust-Oleum 2x ultra cover primer (https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-340g-2x-ultra-cover-flat-white-primer-spray-paint_p1580676), followed by two coats of Rust-Oleum chalked in blush pink (https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-887ml-chalked-ultra-matt-paint_p1580860) using a spray gun and sealed with Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Satin (https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-298g-2x-ultra-cover-satin-clear-spray-paint_p1580817). For the charis I went with Rust-Oleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Prime Seaside (https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-340g-2x-ultra-cover-paint-prime-gloss-seaside-spray-paint_p15...).

Really pleased with the way they turned out! 

Thanks for your suggestions and advice :smile:  

20220608_130555.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @DIYMum

Thank goodness you finally got some sunshine. That paint over project looks fantastic, it's covered it very well as it has totally smothered the dull grey colour of the plastic. The smaller chairs remind me of a Mediterranean beach, I bet these will look good near the pool. I'm really impressed as you've taken that extra step of using a clearcoat sealer for the top coat of the chairs. That paint job will definitely last all because of that extra step you took.

How many days did it take to finish the entire set?

Again, thank you so much for sharing those pictures and the materials you used for your paint over project.

I look forward to seeing your next creation.

Eric

DIYMum
Having an Impact

Thanks @EricL! I guess all up allowing for drying between coats it took 4-5 days - I gave it the extra drying time given it's not really very warm here at the moment, but the actual spraying didn't take very long at all :smile:

Ha, I just had the pool taken out so these will be going around a fire pit - yet another backyard project to tackle, but need to wait until spring now to get the lawn in.

suethomo
Just Starting Out

Hi. I’m going to paint some resin plastic deck chairs that I bought second hand. When you touch them they feel powdery like they’ve deteriorated in the sun. Should I sand them back at all or just clean and paint?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @suethomo. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting plastic.

You'd need to remove the powdery coating. I suggest giving them a good scrub with a Scotch pad and Sugar Soap. If that doesn't remove the powdery residue, then you'll need to sand the chairs until you reach uncompromised plastic. 

Remember to use the Dulux 325g Duramax Plastic Primer Spray Paint. as it will give you the best chance of the topcoat adhering.

I can't wait to see your results.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Mitchell

• I'd like to paint some Polypropylene garden boxes, there are quite a few so i dont want to use a spray can 

https://www.vidaxl.com.au/e/vidaxl-raised-bed-40x40x23-cm-polypropylene/8720286091982.html is there a more economical way? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects