Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-oil Malibu 3 seater bench?

tadams
Just Starting Out

How to re-oil Malibu 3 seater bench?

2708BB98-B4FA-4092-83E3-02CA4B967B06.png

Hi, I purchased this couch on marketplace and it is as cracked and weathered in places. To refinish it I know it needs to be sanded but should we take it apart to sand and oil or should we keep it whole? There seems to be a bit of black mould as well can I sand this out or do I need something else to remove it? For oiling do I need to use a brush or can I use a cloth to avoid any drip marks?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to re-oil Malibu 3 seater bench?

Hello @tadams 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your outdoor furniture.

This is a fantastic project to be undertaking. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your 3-seater bench. This will give our members a chance to assess the chairs condition. We can then make recommendations on the best course of action.

Taking it apart is an option but only if it is really necessary. If the timber joins are still in good condition, there might be no need to take it apart. There are cleaners such as 30 Seconds that can wash away mould on timber surfaces. 

To protect the wall and flooring surfaces where you'll be oiling, I suggest covering the area including the walls with painters drop sheets to prevent stain or oil splatter from going on these surfaces. I suggest using an oil applicator if you are planning on oiling the timber surface. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Weathered outdoor furniture revived by @kimamery

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects