Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove pool fence posts?

Moragajagga
Growing in Experience

How to remove pool fence posts?

We have had pool fence repositioned and now we need to remove posts that have been very securily concreted in! My husband is trying to do this with a grinder - but its going to take forever to cut it then grind it down level so that we can place a tile over the top.  Any other suggestions?IMG-3150.jpgIMG-3151.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing pool fence posts

Hi @Moragajagga,

I'd suggest sticking with the grinder. It will take some time, but it shouldn't take that long. The only other alternative I can think of would be to try and break the concrete, but that would likely also be a rather tedious exercise. Let me know if you're not making any headway at all with the grinder, and we can try and find another solution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove pool fence posts?

hi @Moragajagga 

"but its going to take forever"

Could be just my eyes or an optical illusion - but it looks like in your photo - the angle grinder is on with the blade spinning?

And through that spinning blade I swear I can see the right arm of the spectacles in the background on the ground - through the blurring blade?

Illusion?Illusion?

You aren't using a diamond blade to cut the steel - are you?

Capture.PNG

If not - what blade are you using? I'm with Mitchell here - you should be making short work of this.

20230529_101026.jpg

What about if the posts are in lawn? Should I just dig out the turf to expose the concrete ball and then pull it out?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Guy1,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

You could use the either the method you've described, or the one used in the above thread, it really depends on the tools you have available and the effort that you want to put in.

Digging out and removing the concrete then backfilling with soil is your best option as it will allow you to return the lawn to its original state. But this would take quite a lot of effort. If you are not interested in digging out the concrete, then cutting the post off with a grinder like above will take far less physical effort.

Please remember whatever method you use to wear the correct personal protective equipment for the job.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Guy1
Just Starting Out

Hi Jacob, this is probably a silly question but what are the best tools to do the dogging? Obviously a shovel but what about to break up the lawn/earth? Would a pick be the best tool?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Guy1,

The best tool I've found for breaking up soil is a fencing bar. They are quite heavy and can be a lot of effort, but ultimately when used correctly, they are the best tool for digging straight down. 

It will also be a very multi-use tool in your situation as once the concrete is exposed, it can be used as a lever to help getting the clump of concrete out of the ground.

Please remember to wear all necessary personal protective equipment when digging with a fencing bar, especially gloves, enclosed shoes (preferably steel cap boots) and eye protection. 

If you need any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects