Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a fence?

calccom21
Building a Reputation

How to repair a fence?

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-22 at 15.01.37.jpg

Hi All,

I'm planning to fix some old wooden fence that is coming out. I was wondering which nail gun should be able to support and strong enough to nail it back. The nail should be circa 39-40mm length. The last time i did was doing manual hammering and wasnt done in a good job. Hope to get one that does the job and doesn burn tthe pocket. Looking at range below AUD150

Re: How to repair a fence?

These types of drills are designed to accept hex screwdriver bits @calccom21. No converter is needed.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
calccom21
Building a Reputation

Hi All,

I was trying to drill the screw into the fence and got snapped half way through. I'm using impact driver with craftright screwdriver bit. The screwdriver bit got snapped. Not sure if it is underpower of the impact driver or the bit itself or both. Should impact wrench does the job? Any advise? 

IMG20230423121231.jpg

IMG20230423121329.jpg

IMG20230423121343.jpg

Hi @calccom21,

Provided that you are using the correct sized bit for the screw and putting adequate pressure on the drill, the bit might have been destroyed due to it being very budget-friendly. Those kits are ideal for use in low-torque applications and provide a heap of different bit styles for all occasions for minimal cost. However, impact drivers have a lot of torque, and I feel you'd be better off picking up an Irwin Impact Pro Performance 57mm PH2. These singular bits are far superior to the budget-friendly options and designed for use in impact drivers. With correct use, they won't shear the drive tip wings off.

Impact drills can do your job, but they are a little harder to control than a drill driver.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
calccom21
Building a Reputation

Thanks - i went and get the irwin impact pro 57mm PH2 - i was very impressed with it. It drill into it smoothly. Glad that i do not need a higher torque driver

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects