Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore a rotted timber post?

johany
Finding My Feet

How to restore a rotted timber post?

Hello, I'm hoping to save this post and fix the rotten bit. Any ideas or tips on how to do it, is appreciate it! 

16767792926773764591571488077667.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: fixing rotten wood

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @johany. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about restoring a rotted post.

How much structural material is left determines whether you can save the post. Take a flathead screwdriver, poke around the top section, and see how much material you can dig out. Anything soft or spongy needs to be removed. Once you've removed all the degraded material, you can soak the timber with a wood hardener. Once the product has dried, you can start building the post shape back up again with Builder's Bog. Only apply enough bog so it is slightly proud of the finished post shape. This doesn't need to be done all in one go; sometimes, it's better to do several coats. After the bog is set, you can shape it with a surshape plane or a rasp and sandpaper for finer details. Please remember your PPE, including a dust mask and safety glasses, when working with the bog and sanding.

If the whole top of the post is compromised with no solid material, then you should consider cutting it down until you reach solid timber and grafting on a new top section. If you're going to this extent, it's worth considering replacing the post entirely. 

Remember to use quality exterior paint like Dulux Weathershield to seal the post and prevent moisture ingress.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello MitchellMC, thank you so much for your tips 

I was able to fix the post. See image of before and after 

PXL_20230219_072505517.jpg

PXL_20230224_010259293.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Look at that! Good as new, @johany! I bet you are proud of your efforts, as you've done a sensational job.

I'm so pleased I could assist with your project. Please reach out whenever you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects