Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore and paint timber fence?

Harveers
Finding My Feet

How to restore and paint timber fence?

Hello everyone, 

I would like to make my house fence look beautiful. 

Currently, its timber fence palings and its around 15 years old and starts falling apart slowly. 

I would like to give it some sort of plain texture which I can paint easily. Height of the current fence is about 1.7 metres and the fence rail is facing my neighbours side. I am having some time off during Christmas break and would like to get this done. 

Please suggest me your valuable ideas. 

thanks1670332511341.jpg1670332511358.jpg 

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to restore and paint timber fence?

Hi @Harveers, and a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you here.

You certainly have quite a bit of fence there! What did you want to do with it apart from paint it? Do you also want to replace any damaged boards and fix any loose ones? 

One of resident D.I.Y. experts @EricL, will be back on the site this afternoon. I'm sure he will be able to give you any advice you need.

In the meantime you might want to look at these helpful guides: Freshen your fenceHow to fix a fence paling, and How to paint a fence with a spray gun.

Adding some string lighting can also make a fence look lovely. You can also check out this guide: How to install outdoor string lighting.

Please keep up updated with your progress and any questions you have along the way. We'd love to see how it all turns out.

Brad

Thanks very much @BradN  for your reply. 

I would like to make it plain ....like putting some fibre cement sheeting over it and paint it ... When I search it online so many different types of cement sheets pop up.... Just need some help choosing correct material for this task.... Also do I need to run timber rail on my side of the fence to install/secure the cement sheeting ? I am clueless at the moment. 

Please advise. 

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Harveers 

I highly recommend  putting 2 strips of hoop iron on the top and bottom rail of the fence. If your planning on keepin it.   As once a fence starts to fall apart you will be forever fixing it nailing  palings back on.   But with two straps all the way along with screws every second  paling the timbers are held into place you years to come and you  can then jazz up your fence and not worry  about  loose palings as the strap will lock em in place. 

Hoop iron used to be cheap as  chips but now is  more. 

You said you wanted plain texture maybe screwing  (painted all sides  for weather proofing) ply it will lock in old palings to no hoop iron needed. Or  just garden  panels.

Well maybe its time to  upgarde to colourbond  fence  before colour bond starts  being over priced .

There are diy  color fencing videos  out there to learn off and Bunnings sell the good scratch resistant panels that will be needed to deliver to your door.  

Dont forget to  talk to you  neighboour as they  can go 50/50 in cost with you and maybe help you dig the holes Dont forget to factor in cost of disposing old fence is approx $400  but old  fence makes for great fire  wood.  So  buy a fire pit :smile: too

Abey 30mm x 0.8mm x 30m Galvanised Punched Strapping

I/N: 1093242

$55.46

Hoop iron  strap fence good for another 10 yearsHoop iron strap fence good for another 10 yearsSpaced  or full ply panels.Spaced or full ply panels.

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Harveers. Sorry, I didn't realise that your question was about attaching something like cement sheeting to your fence.

Perhaps experienced Workshop members @TedBear and @JoeAzza might be able to contribute more to the discussion. I'm sure that @EricL will be able to help later today.

@Jewelleryrescue has raised some interesting ideas about using strips of hoop iron or plywood panels to secure the fence palings in place and using screen panels to decorate the fence.

You can also find plenty of inspiration in our Top 10 most popular fence projects, our Top 10 most popular screening projects and our Top 10 most popular painting projects.

Brad

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Harveers

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Placing fibre cement sheeting in front of your fence is one option. However, if the posts and rails are already weak, it will not be good for the structure of the fence and could cause it to tilt. But if the fence framework is still in good condition you have a few options open to you. 

The first is to use cement sheeting, the rule for choosing cement sheeting is to make sure that it is rated for exterior use. The second is to cover your fence with another product such as an 1800 x 902mm Pre-Oiled Merbau Alternating Slat Fence Panel. This will give your fence line a new look and make it feel more organic rather than just a plain flat fence. The third option is to put up a new fence or replace the fence pailing with new timber. 

From a fence-pailing perspective, I would estimate the replacement at just $30 per meter. This is from what I can estimate from the picture you posted. Please keep in mind that whatever you choose to put in front of your fence, the current fence must be able to hold its combined weight. I recommend speaking to your neighbour and asking them if you can inspect the fence posts and railings.

Here are some fantastic fencing projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects