Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tile a water feature wall?

Adog
Getting Established

How to tile a water feature wall?

Hi Legends,

Im wanting to make a cascading tiled wall water feature. i have the tiles and water feature equipment but i need to know what to use for the backing of the tiles eg cement board and strong glue, i wont submerge the wall just have it slightly above water level. Also what can i use to line/paint the trough with? it will be made out of timber and ply (maybe marine ply). 

it will look kind of like below

Any and all help needed.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 5.06.03 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to tile a water feature wall

Hello @Adog

Thank you so much for sharing your question about tiling a water feature. I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to tile a water feature? by @iedwards1919. But in your case, I suggest covering your water feature frame with James Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 4.5mm 2.88m² HardieFlex™ Cladding and then covering the entire structure with Gripset pond waterproofing membrane. This product will have to be specially ordered at the special orders desk, it is a versatile product and covers all your needs when waterproofing a water feature.

I recommend using Davco 20kg Ultraflex Ceramic Tile Adhesive as it's rated for external use and contains polymers that provide flexibility. Please make sure to allow the tile adhesive to fully cure before grouting.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adog
Getting Established

Re: How to tile a water feature wall

Hey Eric thanks for the fast reply. I’ll give all this a go. 
Cheers.

A

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects