Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to waterproof balcony?

Fonzi
Growing in Experience

How to waterproof balcony?

Hi team,

Looking for some advice. I have a top floor balcony that is quite exposed to weather on the eastern side and when it rains it come into the balcony and is leaking down into the ceiling below. I have a plan to seal the outer roof area but need to stop the rain coming onto the balcony. I there is an existing railing in place that using wire cabling as the "look" but that is useless to stop water. 

I was thinking about attaching some wooden panels to the balcony from top of rail to ground and seal in and paint to stop all water coming in. Can't find any examples of people doing this. I know it is a hammer solution but it only needs to be for 6months and i just need to stop the water... Any ideas? 

many thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to waterproof balcony?

Hi @Fonzi,

Were you able to show our helpful members some images of the area? Once they have a better idea of the issue, I'm sure they'll have some great solutions for you.

What about Sunlite 10mm Twinwall x 4.0m Clear Polycarbonate Roofing? It's a 4000mm x 980mm sheet and could be fixed to the railing and floor.

Your wood idea might work, but I'm struggling to see how that will stop the rain from coming in above the railing. Those pictures will really assist.

What's going on with the drainage on the balcony? It's not blocked, is it? Typically balconies require a waterproofing membrane and a drainage outlet. If water is pooling in the area and not flowing away to the drain, it can find its way down through any damaged membrane areas.

I'm keen to hear more about your issue and provide assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Fonzi
Growing in Experience

20220515_125122.jpg

Thats Mitchell,

Yeah a roofing sheet might work fine. I have photos on my phone but essentially what you have said it correct. The balcony was build by a home handy man...he put down fibreglass waterproofing tiles but didn't do anything else. When water gets on tiles it pools and seeps in floor, runs to door way and down into the downstairs ceiling... there is also a tile overhange on the outside of the balcony which i am positive is letting water in under them as well. Will need to put some sore of flashing from the balcony tile to roof i think.

I did put temp panels in to stop it recently during storm and it seems to work pretty well.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I was going to also suggest the bistro blinds @Fonzi, but it looks like you are already onto that. Can they be hung the whole way round and draped on the other side of the handrail, so the water runs down them and out of the balcony area?

Mitchell

Fonzi
Growing in Experience

no they are not long enough.. and the roof angles up. so leaves about 1 foot gap (hence the need for a closed in area below the rail).

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fonzi

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from my colleague @MitchellMc. Just to add to the suggestions made, have you considered building some temporary fence extensions made with 70 x 35mm L/M Outdoor Framing MGP10 H3 Treated Pine in combination with Corflute. The panel can be held in place using Zenith 25mm Stainless Steel Angle Bracket - 4 Pack and Cable Ties. This should be enough to cover the balcony from the rain. The Corflute can also be installed into your existing balcony fence. For extra protection, you can also put a bead of Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant.

The temporary extension can be placed on top of your existing fence and drilled into place. It will be easy to disassemble and put away once you begin your repairs. I've placed a diagram below to give you an idea of what it looks like when put together.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Fonzi
Growing in Experience

thanks for the advice.

Right now i have put down some flashing tape and a waterproof roofing membrane on the outside of balcony. and silicone at the floor tile joins to stop water going under the tiles. I have orders some colourbond roof sheeting to put on around the balcony and will seal the edging to stop water coming in and continue to use the bistro blinds for now.... all temporary but fingers crossed...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Fonzi

Please make sure to post an update on your project, I'm sure our members are keen to see how you'll be protecting the balcony from the rain. 

Good luck!

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects