Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Joist hanger for low-level deck near pool?

ponga3
Getting Established

Joist hanger for low-level deck near pool?

g'day guys, new here and after a bit of advice. I'm in the process of planning a small deck build between a pool I've just had installed and my back door (roughly 2m). the problem is I only have 90mm clearance from concrete to the top of pool tile and and wanting it at the same level. my plan was to have a ledger against pool and one underneath the door and run joists between but can't find a suitable joist hanger for the size of timber I need that won't wear out as it's near the pool. after any tips or advice thanks in advance 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: low level deck near pool.

Hello @ponga3

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about building a low-level deck near your pool.

To give our members a better idea of the location of your proposed deck. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area and where you plan on building the decking frame? We can then offer you possible solutions and material suggestions for your deck.

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ponga3
Getting Established

IMG_20211202_131716.jpg

IMG_20211202_131801.jpg

i think the photos have been uploaded. the deck is going between the house and the pool as shown

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ponga3

Thank you for posting the photos of the area. A good place to start would be to have a look at this guide: How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. I'm afraid building the deck at the 90mm height you require is not going to be viable. If you only have 90mm and take away, for example, 70mm for the smallest timber frame, less the thickness of the Merbau decking panel leaves you a 1mm gap between your brick floor and the decking frame. It becomes even more concerning because it is next to the swimming pool and if that water gets stuck under the frame of your deck it will greatly shorten the life of your deck.  

A possible solution is to remove the bricks that are currently there. If for example the bricks are removed, you would possibly gain approximately an extra 60mm of space, add your 90mm and you have 150mm of workable space. You can now use a 90 x 90 H4 treated pine post near the pool. It's a bit overkill, but the post is treated for severe wetting. You can then use Ekodeck so that it will be impervious to your swimming pool water. Using this set up you would have 37mm left as an air gap under the deck.

Let me tag our experienced members @MGusto, @jaga, and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

ponga3
Getting Established

good idea. I thought it was too much work pulling up the pavers but after trialing a few only the endges are glued to concrete underneath and all the rest come up easy ( much easier then aticipated). this will now give me about 130mm clearance in the tighest section. would 90*45 be ok as a bearer aswell or any other reccomendations? thanks mate

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ponga3,

Using 90 x 45mm outdoor framing timber to construct a low-level deck is something commonly seen in the many projects our members have contributed. I'm currently using it myself on a low-level deck. As long as you space the supports appropriately and have enough of them over your deck, you shouldn't have any issues.

There's not really any thicker bearers you could use in that space, as the next readily available size up would be 140 x 45mm.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

ponga3
Getting Established

thanks mate, roughly how far apart do you out the angle brackets !?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

My preference would be no more than every 800mm @ponga3. However, if you wanted to push that out further, you could read through some of our members' posts and follow suit or cross-reference online timber span tales.

Mitchell

ponga3
Getting Established

hi mate seeing as this is near a pool, what angle brackets and fixings would you reccomend for attaching to the concrete? thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Were you still using angle brackets @ponga3? If you were going to remove the bricks, then you'd be concreting post supports into the ground. Or was it concrete under the bricks? Post supports are made from some reasonably solid material and would likely outlast the deck's timber even close to a pool.

We've got a limited selection of stainless steel brackets. You could use this Carinya 100 x 125 x 30 x 5mm Stainless Steel Angle Bracket. Alternatively, I think you'll be pretty safe using galvanised Dynabolts and angle brackets.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects