Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Joist hanger for low-level deck near pool?

ponga3
Getting Established

Joist hanger for low-level deck near pool?

g'day guys, new here and after a bit of advice. I'm in the process of planning a small deck build between a pool I've just had installed and my back door (roughly 2m). the problem is I only have 90mm clearance from concrete to the top of pool tile and and wanting it at the same level. my plan was to have a ledger against pool and one underneath the door and run joists between but can't find a suitable joist hanger for the size of timber I need that won't wear out as it's near the pool. after any tips or advice thanks in advance 

ponga3
Getting Established

Re: low level deck near pool.

still using angle brackets mate as there was concrete under the oavers. I had a look today and could only find hot dipped galvanized brackets just hoping they dont rust

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: low level deck near pool.

Galvanisation can corrode from exposure to salt and chlorinated water @ponga3. The level of exposure will determine the lifespan of your brackets. It might be best to use plastic pedestal feet for the closest supports to the pool, especially any in the splash zone. Alternatively, you could use an epoxy paint over the galvanised brackets to offer some protection.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects