Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Letterbox help please

maddy
Getting Established

Letterbox help please

Hi, I'm building a sleeper letter box, I don't have any power tools but I want to know how to actually get the letter box part in the sleeper, its kind of baffling me, I'd love some advice please? :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: letterbox help please

Hi @maddy,

Sounds like a great project. Do you have a photo or plans you are working from? It would help other members see what you're trying to build.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased you could join us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you need assistance with a project or have something to share. We have loads of members happy to share their experience and knowledge.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

@Rolando posted a good one here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/New-letterbox-project/m-p/21038#M3044

Is that what you're after @maddy?

maddy
Getting Established

Hi, 

Yes thank u so much! That's exactly what I was after, and I love the design on that one too as I won't have to cut any hole in the sleepers, thank you very much  :smile: God bless 

:smile:

maddy
Getting Established

Hi Jason,

Thanks so much :smile: I have received a reply showing me exactly what I need to do. God bless u:)

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks for letting us know @maddy. Good luck with the project. We look forward to seeing what you come up with. Feel free to post again if you need help with anything.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rolando
Having an Impact

Hi Maddy, two pieces of advice:

I had 16 screws (8 left and 8 right) holding the two pieces of sleeper stuck to the letterbox however, I added 4 pieces of wood (2 front and 2 back) to strengthen the assembly. I'm sure I would've ripped the screws through the letterbox holes if I didn't brace the whole thing before installation, the weights involved and the bending forces are very high

The assembly is very heavy, I'm a big guy and struggled to handle the thing in place in the hole (used a trolley as well), also when you cement it in, make sure there's a fair bracing with respect to the ground, once it's set you're not going to be able to adjust it a bit to the left or right unless you have an escavator.

Good luck

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects