Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Leveling my lawn

shazz28
Getting Established

Leveling my lawn

9891B529-4B93-45F8-B61D-C40405766424.jpeg

EE03CC91-AD72-4D80-9711-31866BA28B2E.jpeg

5F4F27B5-9CD8-48D3-A038-72555ABDC506.jpeg

10ECDCCF-4408-42B8-A2F8-5EF517AA00C7.jpeg

Hello there,

I’m new to this community and just need some advice regarding levelling my lawn in the back yard. Most of it is levelled except the corners near the fence! Thanks to our massive mastiff dog for turning into a track whilst chasing neighbours dog and strangers outside. I’m thinking cut the lawn short, air-rate it and then add soil mix all over the lawn? Will appreciate your feedback and specific instruction with how should I go about it?

thankyou 

Shazz

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Leveling my lawn

Hi @shazz28,

Let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased to have you join us and are looking forward to reading about all your projects and plans. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our wonderful members.

Do you know what type of lawn you have? It might also be helpful for members to know what type of soil you have, where you are based and whether the lawn is in full sun most of the time. 

Let me tag the knowledgable @Adam_W who might like to share his thoughts with you. @MitchellMc will also be back on the site tomorrow and will be more than happy to help. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Leveling my lawn

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shazz28. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

I apologise for the delay in my reply. I'm keen to help you out with your lawn.

It looks like your biggest issues are compaction and lack of organic material. The compaction is most notable in front of the shed door, and there appears to be a substantial amount of sandy soil up against the fence. What you have mentioned sounds like a great way to approach these issues.

It would be best if you began with aerating the entire lawn, paying close attention to where your furry friend has been tracking back and forth. Then apply a good coating of Hortico 25L Lawn Top Dress Mix and work it into the aerated holes with a rake. You might like to re-seed the areas lacking grass to speed up the infill process. Once the seed is down, you can apply Seasol 2 x 2L Ready To Use Lawn Fertiliser to encourage establishment. When it has established, apply a complete fertiliser such as Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg Buffalo Slow Release Lawn Fertiliser.

You might like to read through the discussion How to improve your lawn this Spring for some great tips and tricks.

You should also find these step-by-step guides useful:

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects