Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low level deck as extension to a patio

maccifo
Cultivating a Following

Low level deck as extension to a patio

Hi all,

I am new in this workshop. I am building a low level deck as an extension to a patio.

The dimensions are approx. 6m x 1,15m. I am thinking on using a frame (joists) of 90x45cm and bearers of 150x45. The heigh of the deck is around 400-500mm from the bottom so I don't want to over engineer it.

maccifo_0-1607166432786.png

The side touching the patio will have dyna bolts and i was thinking to use the wooden posts like the picture below.

maccifo_1-1607166535020.png

Four or five posts on the bearers and then another few next to the previous patio just in case. 

The distance from the patio is 1150mm so i don't want to put too much so it can only breathe and dry out.

Any suggestion?

Regards,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Low Level Deck

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @maccifo. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for sharing your project.

If the patio is concrete, then you can Chemset threaded rod into it and connect the ledger plate directly to it. Remember to leave a gap between the timber and the concrete for airflow. This would do away with the need for posts next to the patio. 

From my calculations, 90 x 45mm treated pine should be able to span the 1150 width with no need for those two bearers mid-span which you have in your plan. Or are you planning on having a cantilever portion at the front of the deck?

Are you going to use Full Stirrup Solid Stem Post Anchors to secure the posts into the footers?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
maccifo
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks for the reply.

The patio is made from brick with tiles on top. Actually, there are some vertical tiles that i need to go through. That is why a thought about the dyna bolts. What length and how many do you recommend?

Also for the joists, i thought securing them with 2 screws to the ledger rather than joist brackets. Any advise?

I included the bearers for peace of mind but they seem to be over engineered so I will remove them.

As for the posts, i initially thought about timber with concrete bases (as per the picture on my post). However, if i remove the bearers and install the posts on the side, i will definitely use the stirrup with concrete footing.  What depth of concrete footing do you recommend (the frame of the deck will end up being 300mm from the ground).

Regards,

Sergio

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Sergio (@maccifo),

I'd recommend Chemsetting threaded rod into the bricks to attach the ledger plate to the patio. The largest Dynabolt is Ramset 12 x 125mm Galvanised DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolt. 45mm of that length will be the thickness of the timber and 10mm an air gap. That leaves you with 70mm in the wall, and I would personally prefer slightly longer, perhaps 100mm. It would be best if you placed a fixing into the bricks at least every meter.

The type of soil in your area governs the footer size. As a general starting point, a 300 x 300 x 450mm concrete footer should be sufficient. It's always best to check with your local council to find out if there are area-specific regulations.

Mitchell

maccifo
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell,

I will do that, any suggestion as to how to maintain the gap on the ledger? Also, any recommendation of the Metric of the threaded rod?

Regards,

Sergio

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sergio (@maccifo), 

You can either stack 10 millimetres worth of washers onto the threaded rod or use plastic spacers to achieve a gap between the ledger and wall. I'd recommend Hobson M10 x 3000mm Hot Dip Galvanised Threaded RodZenith M10 Hot Dipped Galvanised Washers and Zenith M10 Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Nuts.

Mitchell

maccifo
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchel,

It is finally completed. See pictures below.

3 x Frames installation so I can move them around myself

20201229_094806.jpg

Threaded rods installation

20201231_102641.jpg

Frame installed before boards

20210102_161225.jpg

And deck with boards

20210117_165847.jpg

Thanks for your help.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks absolutely fabulous @maccifo! Congratulations on an amazing new deck, I trust you are very proud of your handiwork.

I really like your idea of creating the deck in panels. A similar system exists with our Good Times frame modules.

Many thanks for sharing your results, as I'm sure it will inspire many of our members considering a similar build.

Well done.

Mitchell

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Re: Low level deck as extension to a patio

Nice idea @maccifo - I’ll be interested to see how it turns out :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects