Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low level deck with roof

Matt_M1
Just Starting Out

Low level deck with roof

Hi and thank you for letting me be a part of this group. I’m building a low level deck with roof that will be 6m long x 3m wide. I have looked at spanning tables but they just confuse me and I have no idea how many posts, bearers, joists I need and at what spacing. I’m also looking to use concrete footings with the posts sitting on stirrups which will be buried in the concrete.

Any help in getting started will be great! 

Cheers, Matt.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low level deck with roof

Hi @Matt_M1,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're looking forward to seeing you complete your new outdoor entertaining area. 

Have you seen the helpful guide How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W? It would be a great place to start. Then you might like to come back here and share a sketch of what you plan to build. You might also like to share a photo or two of your backyard so members can see the space you are working with.

I'm sure members will be very keen to help you get started once they have a little more information to work with. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Matt_M1

Thank you for sharing your question about building a low-level deck with a roof.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jason. His recommendation of reading the guide on How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W is one of the best places to start your plan. There are several low-level deck projects here on the Workshop community that you can look at to gather ideas and inspiration. I suggest typing the word "deck" at the search bar and reading through some of the discussions. 

I recommend having a go at making your own plan. By posting a plan it gives our members an idea of what you want to build. We can then make recommendations on steps to take, and materials to use. Every state has its own council rules regarding building a deck. I suggest checking the regulations in your area before making plans. It sounds like an exciting project, we look forward to seeing your plans. 

Here are links to some of our featured projects:

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @Matt_M1,

Span tables can be a pain to read as they sometimes seem counterintuitive.

For a 6m x 3m pergola you will need six posts (90 x 90mm minimum), two 6m lengths of 190 x 45mm and two 3m lengths of 190 x 45mm as beams.

With a skillion roof for this size pergola you will need at least eight rafters (this will give you a rafter spacing of roughly 860mm) of a minimum 120x35mm, however it is easier to find 140x35mm timber from bunnings so I would go for that instead (plus the added peace of mind of a stronger construction). For battens you will need four 6m lengths of 45x70mm (and will use them on their 70mm wide edge). I got these from this span table, and coincidentally the project of mine that @EricL mentioned is a 6 x 3m deck with roofed pergola, however my pergola is attached to the house on two sides so a little bit different in terms of construction.

I look forward to seeing your finished project, and am happy to help if you have any further questions.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects