Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low-level decking suggestions

simontho
Getting Established

Low-level decking suggestions

Hi,

I am looking at building a low level deck that comes off the back doors.

The length is 3.7 metres wide by 11.3metres long (running the length of the house).  Any recommendations on what the specs shoud be?

I really appreciate suggestions as am new to this.

Thanks, Simon

Re: Decking Suggestions

Hi mitchell,

I was thinking of using 140 x 70mm for bearers.

Thanks, Simon

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

There are no bearers in a single level deck @simontho, and I think you'll struggle to create a traditional joist over bearers deck in the 200mm you have to work within. In a traditional deck, the bearers are supported by the stumps, and then they bear the weight of the joists and decking placed on top. This style of construction is usually used on elevated decks and not on low-level structures. This is because there is not enough room even to consider that approach.

If you intended to create a single level deck, I haven't heard of anyone using 140 x 70mm timber for their joists before. Even 140 x 45mm would be considered more than adequate in most cases. Were you wanting to span very long lengths without stumps for support?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

Am more than happy to use 140 x 45mm, as you can see I am a beginner at this.  What would you recommend be the distance between stumps and joists.

Thanks, Simon 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

If you're using 140 x 45mm for your joists, then you'll be relatively safe spacing the stumps every 1500mm along their length @simontho. You can make that spacing larger, minimising the amount of stumps you'd need, but you'll have to reference timber span tables to find a distance you're comfortable with. Personally, I'm comfortable with 1500mm as it is well within the spanning capabilities of 140 x 45mm timber. The joists which I have pictured with blue lines in the image on the previous page would be spaced around 450mm apart.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects