Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low profile deck

hadi
Growing in Experience

Low profile deck

IMG_0649.jpegHi all,

I've been planning to build a low profile deck for about 4 months now. Been trying to discover what's envolved and how  I can build it.

Currently we have a pavers in the backyard which I'm trying to convert a part of it to a deck and the rest will transform later to white pebbles and some big black tiles in between.

The issue I'm currently facing and need help to decide is: from the pavers to backyard window (which is the entrace to the backyard from the house) I have 14cm height only. 

So I have two options:

1- to remove the whole pavers from the backyard, dig a bit to open up some space which for me is a quite an effort and will take time to complete. (P.S: I'm a full time employee working in industry and this is my first deck to build. I'm quite handy and I've refloor our house [remove carpet and put luxury vinyl] )

2- Use the pedestal (https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-pedestal-foot-smallfoot-35-60mm_p2450074) and put the bearers and joist inline with eachother. 

So the deck I'm trying to build is 6 meters by 7 meters. I'm open to any ideas and help please.

If you need more information let me know as well.

I've just took out some of bricks and the underneath was a bit of sand and then concrete.

IMG_1043.jpegIMG_3554.jpegIMG_8613.jpegIMG_8878.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low profile deck

Thanks for the update @hadi, we are looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hadi
Growing in Experience

Hi @BIM_Engineer and @Stuardo

I have a question to ask as I'm going to bunnings this weekend to get the decking board sorted. 

Bunnings has Merbau FJ boards at 5.7 meters length. The length of the decking I'm trying to lay is 6.7 meters. The question is to ask is how do I calculate how many decking board I'll need. And if the FJ boards are not recommended what's my other options ? 

I found that I can join two boards on top of a joist. But not sure how to calculate and recommnedation of the best way to do that for my length.

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Hi @hadi,

I don't know an easy way around that other than doing the maths. That's why I worked it out on graph paper first. For odd shaped decks I'd draw it up to scale and break it into rectangles and work out the square meters (length x width) for those rectangles then how many boards to fit each rectangle, allowing for spacing. Left over areas of the deck outside of the rectangle shapes for me would be best guess. Order a few extra lengths to allow for mistakes too. (Remember the old saying to measure twice and cut once). Merbau FJ should be great for your deck and does look good when finished, no need to stain it either. The colour (tannin) does leech out of the wood when new so follow instructions for cleaning and prep before sealing it at the end. Can't wait to see the finished deck.

Cheers,

Stuart.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@hadi
If you send me a message I will put up a Google sheet (Spreadsheet & Diagram)

for you to use
hth
Chris

hadi
Growing in Experience

@BIM_Engineer

Hi Chris,

I"ve sent the email with the sketch.

Thanks

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@hadi 

Here is a solution to your deck (viewed from beneath) hth

Untitled1.jpg

hadi
Growing in Experience

Hi @BIM_Engineer,

Thanks for providing the info. Just a quick question, I have bought the Merbau from Bunnings, I haven't notice that in store but when I was installing them, some of them has a bend length wise and difficult to put them to work and screw them and follow the standard gapping. Is there a solution for this or I have to return them to the store and get the straight ones ?

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi @hadi
if you can't straighten them when fixing return them
Cheers
Abhijit
Getting Established

@Stuardo 

Hi Stuart,

You mentioned 'The deck started directly on the pavers at the doorway and only some small height adjustment in some uneven areas', can you please let me know how you made those height adjustments. I am going to start my deck next week and have a very uneven paver surface. I cannot use the good times height adjustments as they are very tall.

Thanks,

Abhi

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Abhijit,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We are looking forward to seeing how your deck progresses. Have you considered removing your pavers? 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand. We have members sharing helpful advice and project inspiration on Workshop every day. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects