Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Low profile deck

hadi
Growing in Experience

Low profile deck

IMG_0649.jpegHi all,

I've been planning to build a low profile deck for about 4 months now. Been trying to discover what's envolved and how  I can build it.

Currently we have a pavers in the backyard which I'm trying to convert a part of it to a deck and the rest will transform later to white pebbles and some big black tiles in between.

The issue I'm currently facing and need help to decide is: from the pavers to backyard window (which is the entrace to the backyard from the house) I have 14cm height only. 

So I have two options:

1- to remove the whole pavers from the backyard, dig a bit to open up some space which for me is a quite an effort and will take time to complete. (P.S: I'm a full time employee working in industry and this is my first deck to build. I'm quite handy and I've refloor our house [remove carpet and put luxury vinyl] )

2- Use the pedestal (https://www.bunnings.com.au/builders-edge-pedestal-foot-smallfoot-35-60mm_p2450074) and put the bearers and joist inline with eachother. 

So the deck I'm trying to build is 6 meters by 7 meters. I'm open to any ideas and help please.

If you need more information let me know as well.

I've just took out some of bricks and the underneath was a bit of sand and then concrete.

IMG_1043.jpegIMG_3554.jpegIMG_8613.jpegIMG_8878.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Low profile deck

Great to see you join the discussion and make your first post @pasmith. I'm sure @hadi will be happy to assist when he can, and @MitchellMc can also share his thoughts.

Looking forward to reading more about your own projects and plans. Please let us know whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Smithy (@pasmith), 

It appears @hadi has used the Good Times system of decking. This includes the frames and frame supports. There are frame supports running along the wall and I would hazard a guess to say that they did not fix the frames to the house.

We look forward to hearing more about your own decking project and would encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance.

Mitchell

G’day @MitchellMc and and @Jason - thanks very much for your speedy replies. 
Regarding the Good Times prefab deck kits, is there a risk of movement if it’s not secured to a wall (if available); or is the weight of the prefab timber heavy enough to prevent movement?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @pasmith,

The Good Times decking frames need to be attached somehow, whether with the supports into the ground or L brackets onto concrete. The only reason you would fix to a wall is that you cannot fix them to the ground.

Mitchell

hadi
Growing in Experience

Hi @pasmith 

Sorry for delayed reply. Hope you had fixed your problem by now. I wasn't aware of these messages till today :smile: 

You don't need to fix the frames to the wall as when you screw your decking board the over all weight of the total deck would be sufficient to prevent it from movement (Also subject to the size of the deck) however I used only 2 bolts to screw the frame to the wall but it wasn't necessary. Feel free to ask any other question as I'm always happy to help.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@hadi,

Let me know if you ever need a hand with your notification settings so you get promptly alerted to replies from other members. 

Thanks for the info about your popular project.

Jason

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @hadi,

Your deck looks fantastic and has been very popular with the community. Thanks again for sharing your project with us.

You mentioned that this deck project was the beginning of an entire backyard renovation with plans for a pergola, raised garden beds, hedge and new lawn. Do you have an update to share? We’d love to see photos of your progress.

Stevie

Abhijit
Getting Established

IMG-20210521-WA0000.jpg

I realised when I got an email from the group that I never posted pics after I got advice from this group. I don't have better pics but have posted some of when I was working on it last year. It has turned out great and my cats love it. Planning a much smaller one in the front of the house now.

IMG-20210521-WA0001.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Congratulations, that looks fabulous, @Abhijit! I trust you are very pleased with your efforts.

It would be terrific if you'd like to walk us through the process when building the smaller deck. I'm sure our members who have not yet completed a deck will appreciate your expertise.

Many thanks for your update.

Mitchell

Will definitely do Mitchell!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects