Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Merbau planter boxes and vertical vegie garden

BrendanB
Building a Reputation

Merbau planter boxes and vertical vegie garden

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-31 at 8.25.14 AM.jpegplanter box 2 (2).jpgplanter box.jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-02-23 at 12.49.41 PM.jpeg

Sunrise
Cultivating a Following

Re: Merbau planter boxes and vertical vegie garden

How are you hanging those planter boxes on the fence please. Also would they be alright to hang on a super sixpence because that’s all I have around my yard?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sunrise.

Let me notify @BrendanB of your question to see if they can provide the answer for us.

It appears they are using the Garden Up range of planter boxes and accessories. I believe they are using the Whites Outdoor Garden Up Classic Slat Hook and Whites Outdoor Garden Up Herb Wire Hook to hang the planters on the timber they have affixed to the fence.

If you need further assistance with these products or had other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BrendanB
Building a Reputation

Hi @michellep I didn't really keep an inventory, but key things you need are merbau pickets for the outside frame. I used merbau fingers to secure the pieces. I used some old sleepers I had lying around fro the base. Then just used some Supa net and plastic to.line it. Good Luck!

BrendanB
Building a Reputation

Hi @Sunrise yea used the garden up range. I reinforced the fence with a wooden frame which also allowed me to run irrigation. 

Re: Merbau Planter Boxes and Vertical Vege Garden

have a look at this vertical Herb garden  I installed for my client in Mordialloc!

0615F69B-BD51-4DD9-ABB6-0DBCE9C34F1F.jpeg

Welcome to the Workshop community @verticalgarden.

Many thanks for the inspiration! We look forward to seeing what projects you have going on around your own home and garden. We'd like to encourage you to share anytime you have a project of interest or need advice on a topic.

Mitchell

susieherring
Just Starting Out

how do we order these ready made and delivered ?

Hi Mitchellmc 

yes I would like to know the materials for this project. We are doing a 5m x 4.5m corner space. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jacksonbb and many thanks for your question. I will ask Mitchell to assist when he is back on the site on Friday. Apologies for the delay and thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans. We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our clever and creative members.

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jacksonbb,

Did you want to make several of these smaller sized boxes or were you thinking of one large planter box? @BrendanB has used Merbau pickets which would limit the size of your planter. You might like to consider using Merbau decking as it is available in longer lengths. Since your desired size is quite large, I'd suggest framing the planter out of 90 x 35mm H3 MGP 10 Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing. You can then clad over the top of it with your decking. Your chosen height will determine the quantity of timber needed for the project.

I've included some images below of how to go about piecing the unit together.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects