Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mounting a basketball backbard on an exterior Hebel garage wall

bazzyboy
Cultivating a Following

Mounting a basketball backbard on an exterior Hebel garage wall

How can I attach a basketball backboard to an external Hebel garage wall? I have previously used Dynabolt to mount a hosereel, but this backboard is about 20kg and vibrates.  I am looking for advice and what parts to use.  Thanks!

Hebel says you should not fix directly to Hebel walls: "Homeowners should be aware that items such as gates, decks, pergolas, carports and basketball hoops can cause vibrations or excessive loads on Hebel walls – and they shouldn’t be secured to the walls. There is a solution; fixing them to posts that are independent of the wall will ensure the load isn’t directly transferred to the Hebel panels or blocks."

I am wondering if I can mount 2 treated pine sleepers horizontally on to the Hebel wall to absorb vibrations, and then attach the basketball backboard to the sleepers. 

https://hebel.com.au/fixtures-and-fittings-how-to-secure-to-your-hebel-walls/?fbclid=IwAR3qRvqIG8_Am...

bball.jpgRebel_521011-00_hi-res.jpgbball Rebel_521011_hi-res.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mounting a basketball backbard on an exterior Hebel garage wall

Hello @bazzyboy

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your query about mounting your basketball backboard.

Hebel blocks and Hebel walls are aerated concrete that provides an alternative to brick walls. They are not ideal for anchoring heavy items that may cause vibrations. As much as I would like to say yes to your idea of pine sleepers the vibrations would still travel through the timber and into the Hebel block causing damage.

The other option is to find another location for your backboard. However, if there is no other spot I suggest contacting your local sports store and see if they have an in-ground post kit that is compatible with your backboard. You can also try online for freestanding post sets that will save you effort from having to mount on a wall or dig in the ground.

Let me tag our experienced member @Adam_W for further advice.

Please keep us updated. We look forward to seeing your basketball backboard mounted and ready to play with.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bazzyboy
Cultivating a Following

Hi @EricL 

Thanks so much for your reply and welcome! I'm so glad to have found this community. I went with re-using my old Everfit freestanding post. So the new Spalding backboard has been attached to the Everfit pole using the supplied Spalding pole mounting kit.

The old one only lasted 4 Melbourne lockdowns;) It fell a number of times on windy days. Now I hold it together using 3 cords and it's been relatively windproof since then.

My son enjoyed the new Spalding pole-mounted backboard thoroughly.

20210711_200345_HDR.jpg

20210711_163336_HDR.jpg

20210711_192137_HDR.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @bazzyboy

I'm glad to hear you've got it up and running. Thank you so much for posting the photo updates. It's great that you had a spare post and managed to use that for your new backboard. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy the new basketball backboard. 

If you need assistance or information with any other project around the house, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects