Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Native bee hives or OATHs

cadsman
Having an Impact

Native bee hives or OATHs

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: native bee hives. or OATHs

Many thanks for sharing @cadsman. Can you tell us how you make the hives?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cadsman
Having an Impact

Based on the OATH principal from plans on the web. Used 35mm thick pine (90x35 and 70x35 F12 studs and 50 thick pine sleepers from Bunnings, all planed and thicknessed).

Mitred corners and stainless steel screws for fixings. Propolis smear for attractant and strapping from the B store.

Mini orb roofing and painted ply supports. Just sold one for $20, enough to cover cost of materials.😄

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@cadsman Great project! Can I ask, as someone whom makes solitary beehouses, I often get questioned about the use of treated pine from the pallets I make them from. Do you have any concerns about the use?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Two things Mitchell, i would not use any treated timber for native bee hives. I have been told by the experts at a seminar on the tiny ones. 

I also would not use pine any thinner than 35mm thick. To use less won't provide the temperature insulation they require to be happy. Just what I've learnt from some very experienced others. 

Cheers, IanK.

GregE
Just Starting Out

I use 12mm ply, heat treated & waxed on the inside, for my hives.  Also hives are kept in the cool shade and they have gone crazy in their gathering at an average 80 bees a minute returning to the hive.  I have been using ply for about 40 yrs, but I am looking at using solid timber of 20mm in my next lot of boxes.

GE
cadsman
Having an Impact

Hey Greg,

I always try to use 35mm thick solid, untreated pine timbers for my OATHs. It gives a greater insulation value than thinner timbers. The insides of the oaths are also scattered with melted Propolis as an attractant for the little buggers. The small blow torch is a great way to melt and scatter the Propolis!

Good luck with the ply and I hope all goes well. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @GregE. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about your projects and plans for around the house and garden. It sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience to share, and we're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration in return from our amazing community members.

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community, need a hand with a project around the house and garden, or want help getting the most from the Workshop site. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects