Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help fixing fence!

Lassy
Getting Established

Need help fixing fence!

Hi Everyone

With all of these winds we have been having my wooden fence decided that it would be the perfect time to break. I am struggling to pop it back into the frame. Hopefully if it doesnt rain for long enough the wood should shrink which should solve the problem (is there a quicker way to shrink wood?) The post relates

IMG20200909111312.jpg

more to what can I do to wind proof my fence going forward? I was thinking about maybe getting a fasterner which is either "+" or "x" shaped to hold all of the joints together, does anyone know is something like this exists or what it is called? Unfortunately due to the stage 4 lockdowns I cant stroll into Bunnings and ask someone's advice so I am a bit stuck. Any other ideas please feel free to share!

IMG20200910084101.jpg

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Re: Need help fixing fence!

Hi @Lassy 

Sorry I don't know any way to quickly shrink wood, however my suggestion is Bunnings have galvanised steel bracket plates that would do the job. I couldn't see any that are + shaped but there are several sizes to choose from and screwed vertically down the posts across the joins would be very secure. See below and find the size you need.

Galvanised Plate.jpg

Hope that helps,

Stuart

These plate brackets are exactly what I'd use @Lassy. The reason the timber has dislodged is because it's only fixed in with nails which have far less grip strength than screws. I'd fix this plate bracket on with 14g bugle batten screws for absolute strength.

I doubt you need to "shrink" the timber, it'd just be a case of using leverage (crowbar/steelbar) to push the two sections of fencing apart enough to pop the cross member back in. Alternatively, just chisel enough away for it to fit (or use a multitool if you have one).

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Lassy
Getting Established

Thanks @Stuardo and @ProjectPete !! That's incredibly helpful! I had a look - the post is about 12cm think, with the rail about 5cm. Would a 8.5cm screw be the right size to go for? One size up is 10cm but I was thinking that might be too big? The sun managed to do its thing today and I was able to pop the fence back in. At least that is one less problem :smile:

Happy to help @Lassy . I'd go with the 14g 100mm Bugle batten screw as it'll give you 50mm embedment in the post when flush finished on the rail

An 85mm screw would only give you 35mm embedment which is OK, but 50mm is better.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Lassy
Getting Established

@ProjectPete Brilliant, thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lassy. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

It's great to see you have found a solution with the assistance of our very knowledgable members @Stuardo and @ ProjectPete.

I note the vertical circular saw cuts across the horizontal members. Could this be a case of the fence was opened for a purpose as opposed to it simply breaking due to wind? It would appear that after it was installed those cuts were made, perhaps for builders to gain access during construction? Quite possibly it was done before you moved in and only shifted due to the current high winds.

That's not relevant to the discussion, I just found it interesting.

We look forward to hearing more about your projects around the house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or have something to share. No doubt you've already realised we are all a helpful bunch and can't wait to lend a hand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects