Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Need help with construction of freestanding low-level deck

bjayz79
Just Starting Out

Need help with construction of freestanding low-level deck

Hi , I am looking at building a single layered low level deck. The size of my deck is 4.2 metres wide x 4.6 metres long and is free standing away from the house. What size treated pine timber would you recommend for the construction for both, joists and bearers. I have used a few timber calculators and still cannot determine how many bearers I require and what the ideal spacing between the joists should be? Ultimately what should be the recommended height of the deck and how many post are required for the bearers?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need help with construction of freestanding low-level deck

Hello @bjayz79

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a low-level deck.

I suggest having a quick look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This guide should give you enough information about which elements you'll need to take into consideration when planning your decking frame. I also suggest this guide by my colleague - How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. This guide should give you further insight on how to construct a decking frame as my colleague builds the deck from scratch.

Generally, a timber size of 90x45 is commonly used on mid-size decks. It's not a fixed rule, but you must adhere to timber span tables and you can use bigger timber if you need to. The rules for timber deck weight capacities are stipulated in the Building Code of Australia and your frame construction method must at a minimum adhere to those. The recommended gap between joists is 450mm, this is the most common gap used, but keep in mind that it all depends on the weight and use of the deck. 

The gap between your deck and the ground is important. If there is not enough space between the deck and the ground, moisture will get trapped in between and will deteriorate your deck's timber frame. The larger the gap the better the air circulation will be under your deck. The space of 1-meter between footings is broadly used on low-level decks. Each joist must have footing beneath it so that the entire deck will be supported.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Inspiring low-level deck builds

Here is a handy deck-building guide from Bunnings:

Here are some amazing low-level decks our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects