Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor chalkboard - tools and materials required?

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

Outdoor chalkboard - tools and materials required?

1.png

Finished project

Hello All,

I am planning to create an outdoor chalkboard for kids, covering one of my fencing face, while kids can enjoy drawing.

I am planning with the size of approx. 2 (width) X 1.2 (height) and attach the same with the outdoor pine post without touching the original fencing.

Also will that be ok if it goes above the fencing hight by approximately 200-300mm, so that it can give me some privacy as well.

imcodebased_0-1631598763173.png

Please can you help me to to know the material and tools that I would need.

Thank you,

Regards

Amit

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Outdoor chalkboard - tools and materials required?

Hello @imcodebased

Thank you for sharing your question about what materials do I use to build an outdoor chalkboard. 

If you are planning to leave this permanently outside, I suggest making a frame using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 70 x 35mm. Once you've built the frame, I recommend using Project Panel 1220 x 2440mm 3mm Premium BC Plywood. It is necessary to paint the entire structure using Taubmans Low Sheen White Sunproof Exterior Paint - 1L White. All exposed areas of the structure must be painted. Once the paint has dried off, you can now paint the front with White Knight 500ml Black Chalkboard Paint.

You will need the following tools:

In order to mount the chalkboard, it will be necessary to dig holes for the posts. If you are planning to pull this out sometime in the future you can just put rocks in the hole to keep it steady. Once it is stable cover the holes back up. Your chalkboard is now ready for use. 

Let me tag our experienced members @LePallet and @Brad for their recommendations

Here are some examples of projects that have chalkboards in them that our members have shared:

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

Thank you @EricL for your detailed step by step. 

Indeed my plan is to keep it there for a very long time. I find that it is one of the thing to makeover fencing area and kids will love it.

Also, in terms of going beyond fencing height, is it ok to go above 200 mm to what I currently have?

I will not be touching legal fencing, but by increasing it to 200 mm more above will give me better privacy as both side houses are going down by 15 degree or above.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @imcodebased

It is always a good idea to let your neighbor know that you're planning to put up a chalkboard for your children. Having that discussion with them will avoid any misunderstanding. Because it is not cemented in place, it is technically a non-permanent structure. However, it is always a good idea to check with your local council about fence height restrictions in your area. 

Any updates you can provide while building your chalkboard would be much appreciated.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Remember to put the B side of the plywood to be facing out from the fence.

I do like to make a rebate in the frame when using ply to help hide and protect the edge, but I have a router table and a table saw which does make it easier to do.

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

@EricL I still have not finished this project. In NSW it is raining all the time. Also I have found the better option using "Blue board" . In 40 bucks I should be able to achieve the expected outcome.

The only problem now left is how to transport this board, as delivery is as same the board cost :laugh: 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @imcodebased

The blue board should work just fine. Perhaps it is time to call in some favors and see if anyone of your mates has a van or ute you can borrow. Otherwise, your only option is to have it delivered. If you have any other questions about your project, please let us know.

Happy Holidays

Eric

imcodebased
Cultivating a Following

After bit of a drama of getting a blue board at home, I decided to get Marine grade plywood. It is bit dearer but has solved my transportation problem by reducing width by 10 cm.  I now have a very nice looking  2.4m x1.1 m wide blackboard. 

Thanks @Brad for giving me an idea to make a frame structure to protect wood from all side. I'd to buy bits and a router, but money worth spent for future projects as well. 

Blackboard ResultBlackboard Result

Thank you @EricL @Brad .

To give a better protection from water, I am now thinking of putting a transparent silicon in all edges. I was told that silicon does not do well with the wood. Any idea, if it is true? Will Sikaflex will do better? 

That looks wonderful @imcodebased! I trust you are delighted with the results. It seems like it's already getting great use.

I'd suggest a few coats of quality exterior paint would be your best measure against any decay to the timber. Alternatively, Sikaflex would be a better option than silicone.

Many thanks for sharing, and we look forward to your next project.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects