Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paling warping

mike88
Getting Established

Paling warping

Anyone have experience glueing back paling? Would Gorilla Glue hold it back in place?

8264BAF5-D9EE-4800-9E78-E1DD340DA53A.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Paling Warping

Hi @mike88,

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community.

I suspect that fence palings warping over time is a common problem so I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in this topic. 

Let me tag a few helpful members in @Brad@r23on@ProjectPete@Prof and @Noyade to see what they would do.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Why not just screw them back in place.?

mike88
Getting Established

Hi @Prof  - thanks for the response; warping alongside the adjoining palings not the rail and overlap of palings isn't much hence trying to avoid screws.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Ah..I see what you mean..bit of a tricky one..I'm thinking that there's nothing really suitable for a permanent cure..

Once palings are warped there's not much you can do except replace them...

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"overlap of palings isn't much hence trying to avoid screws."

Hi Mike

Overlaping as seen in No.1?

Are some of the boards bending sideways as in No.2?

All I can think of is screwing all the top ends of the boards into a piece of wood at the back - and painting the exposed unpainted edges.

But it still probably won't look that good. 😞

Scan0249.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

The power of pine warping.

Seen at the delivery end of the local Bunnings store...

20200205_112834.jpg

mike88
Getting Established

Thanks @Noyade - good illustrations, exactly like No. 1. I am able to push them back, hence I was thinking of using strong wood glue (with a clamps until dry). 

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi in the past I have used polyurethane adhesives which works well, however like all treated pine no matter what you do warping will take place.

I take it the fence is treated pine? The other factor is that the fencing is cut so thin hence warping is common. I have noticed in some places in NSW the palings are around 10mm thick reducing some warping.

hope this helps

mike88
Getting Established

Thanks @r23on - yes the fence is treated pine, think you are spot on the palings are to thin.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects