Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Pallet D.I.Y. projects

I was recently researching vertical and herb garden ideas. For myself there are two things that make or break my decision to undergo a project. 

1. Is it easy and achievable?

2. Is it low cost?

In my findings I stumbled across a pallet vertical garden, which really intrigued me. It was different, looked easy enough to complete and didn't use many materials at all.

This then got me thinking about what else pallets could be used for around the home. To my surprise there are a lot of great ideas that people find for timber pallets. I have been able to find many nifty ideas using pallets which seem like easy, low budget alternatives for all sorts of things. Here are just a few of my favourites.

pallet-vertical-garden.jpgpallet-shoe-rack.jpgpallet-storage.jpgpallet-door.jpgpallet-outdoor-lighting.jpgpallet-fire-pit.jpg

pallet-shelf.jpgpallet-garden-shelf-2.jpg

Would be really interested to know if anyone else has been inspired and used pallets for any DIY projects? Will definitely be trying some of these myself. 

Re: Pallet DIY Projects

Free pallets are regularly advertised on Gumtree :smile:

Thought this may be handy for anyone looking to create a compost bin. One of my older videos showing how to make a compost bin/bay with pallets
https://youtu.be/O80tMoWqbfk

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Cheers @Adam_W, many thanks for sharing. 

Note that you can embed videos into your posts. In the text editor there's a filmstrip icon that will say "Insert a video" when you hover over it. Then you just need to insert the YouTube link and change the video size to Large so it appears as big as possible on the site. (We're doing some work on the site design at the moment that will ensure photos and videos appear much larger.)

Thanks again for sharing your expertise with the community. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Duuuooohhh... thanks @Jason trap for us newbies :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No problem at all @Adam_W. The buttons are a little subtle at present. We're going to make them a bit clearer. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kaylah_rose,

It's been a while since you kicked off this very popular discussion, so I just thought I'd provide an update that we've recently had many amazing pallet projects shared on the Workshop Gallery. Make sure you check them out.

And please let us know if you've been busy creating your own!

Jason

Just bear in mind you should only use Pallets that are  pressure- and heat-treated (marked with "HT"), as opposed to being fumigated with the neurotoxin and carcinogen methyl bromide (marked with "MB"). Never use pallets that have had chemicals or hydrocarbons spilt on them 

A very helpful reminder @Farnarkleboy. Thanks for sharing the tip.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. It's great to have you as a Workshop member. I'm looking forward to reading about your projects and plans, and am sure you will receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration from other community members. 

Have you got any of your own pallet projects you can share?

Jason

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Why would grabbing pallets from a bin be illegal? Its going to landfill anyhow. Any lawyers like to assist?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Visitors to this discussion might also be interested to read the member profile about one of our pallet project experts - Marty York.

I trust @Yorky88's story and all the ideas in this discussion will get you inspired to start building your own pallet creations. Let us know how you go!

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects