Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Picket fence - timber type

high_st
Just Starting Out

Picket fence - timber type

what type of timber do i buy to replace a horizontal cross bar that is behind the pickets in a picket fence ?

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Picket fence - timber type

@high_st Welcome to the Workshop Community! 

If it's painted then H3 treated pine is suitable.

If you take a measurement of the dimensions then they can match it up for you.

Something like treated-pine-outdoor-timber-framing-70-x-35mm_p8032093 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MrGeorge
Finding My Feet

Hi there high_st

The piece of timber you are referring to is called a Fence Rail. They come in either Treated Pine or Hardwood.

Hardwood lasts longer but is more expensive. Treated pine is a softwood and is a little bit easier to work with when it comes to drilling into it and attaching the pickets/palings to the rail.

The most important thing is that it is H4 treated if you are leaving it unpainted.

great to hear - the last one has rotted out,

also what type of nails for pickets ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@high_st,

Great to see you make your first post on the Workshop site and get quality responses in quick time. Let me tag @MitchellM so he is alerted to your question about what type of nails he would recommend you use. 

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you have joined us and look forward to reading more about your projects and plans for the home and garden. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@high_st galvanised nails for treated pine, or if you screw there are some brown coated ones at Bunnings which are specifically for treated.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

SalBay
Building a Reputation

The timber used depends on the span (the distance between posts) , if the span is greater than 2.4m then treated pine will generally be too floppy, and you will need hardwood rails. Normally you would use "green" hardwood as it is easier to screw or nail, if you use seasoned hardwood, then you will need to pre-drill holes for screws (else they will snap) , use the grey coated screws with a square drive. You will need an impact driver with hardwood.

Generally H4 treated pine has too many knots/twists etc to be useful as fence rails, while H3 is made from higher grade pine, H3 will need painting (unless you want to replace it in another 10years)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects