Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Polycarbonate roof for outdoor kitchen to BBQ in style

alicanterenodb
Making a Splash

Polycarbonate roof for outdoor kitchen to BBQ in style

I constructed the BBQ and brick structure some years back which included a mixture of pavers and pebble creted fish pond and fountain. The fish pond is shallow so its safe for my grand kids to wet their toes in the summer months but has a prefab 500 litre concrete tank underground to house the main pump. The filtration system is above ground for easy access .The BBQ Structure houses the Water Storage tank pump and also an auto reel hose bought from Bunning some time back. A door provides access but ensures little hands are safe.The BBQ itself is a 5 Burner Matador also purchased from bunnings. The right side houses the Gas cylinder. Unfortunately it was always sunny during the week but nearly always rained on weekends. So finally it was time to gather the timber and contruct a shelter using timber trusses and clear polycarbonate also purchased from Bunnings which would allow plants to get enough sun but also offer protection from rain and hail. I also incorporated some temporary timber lattice just for when temperatures reach the forty's.in Summer.The roofing structure also has a skylight over the water feature which is mainly designed for aestheticreasons only since lighting is not an issue. A ducted exhaust hood to direct smoke outside the enclosure. An automated misting system to water plants since they are now under cover.

All exposed timber

Bunnings BBQ DIY.jpgWHY NOT XMAS IN JULYWHY NOT XMAS IN JULYI made the led lighting a permanent feature as it keep the young ones entertainedI made the led lighting a permanent feature as it keep the young ones entertainedBUNNINGS BBQ DIY 5.jpgTRELICE FOR ADDITIONAL UV PROTECTIONTRELICE FOR ADDITIONAL UV PROTECTIONThe sky light GIVES THE STRUCTURE A THIRD DIMENSIONThe sky light GIVES THE STRUCTURE A THIRD DIMENSIONwork must go on even when its 40Degwork must go on even when its 40DegEACH TRUSS CAN HANDLE MY WEIGHT  WITH EASEEACH TRUSS CAN HANDLE MY WEIGHT WITH EASECRUCIAL PART OF THE SKYLIGHTCRUCIAL PART OF THE SKYLIGHTA moist neck wrap is handy on a hot dayA moist neck wrap is handy on a hot daySkylight Canopy takes ShapeSkylight Canopy takes ShapeCompleted with BUNNINGS 300LUMENS  LED AND BUNKER LIGHTSCompleted with BUNNINGS 300LUMENS LED AND BUNKER LIGHTSWIEW FROM END OF GARDENWIEW FROM END OF GARDEN.  primed and top coated with Dulux Paint

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Polycarbonate roof for outdoor kitchen to BBQ in style

Hi alicanterenodb Your project looks absolutely magnificent  and I'm sure many people would like to know more about it..

We wish you every success with your entry..

Prof

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

You are definitely barbecuing in style @alicanterenodb. Congratulations on a great result. I'm sure you will have many happy times there with friends and family.

Look out for plenty of questions from the Bunnings Workshop community about your project as I'm sure it will inspire many people.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Prof thank you for your kind comments. 

Hi Jason thank you for your kind comments. I think that we all have a creative side of us.Its a matter of building that self confidence and not be afraid to fail. Looking forward to answering any questions.

David

Hi David,

Can you show me the close pic poly cut overlapping work that you have done? Also did you use any capping around screws to prevent water leak, if yes then what sort of cap did you use? TIA

Regards,

Atul Chaudhary

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @atul221282

Let me tag @alicanterenodb to make them aware of your questions. From the pictures posted it doesn't look like any caps were used on the screws. However, it is very difficult to see from the angle of the photo, it would be interesting to know how the cathedral skylight was sealed up for the weather. 

Are you planning on building something similar? If you are, please don't forget to post an update on your project. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what your skylight assembly looks like.

Eric

atul221282
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

I have the similar structure where I need to put the same sort of skylight, would you be able please share the link of the material that I required or if there is any bunnings workshop video link I can watch?

Kind Regards

Atul

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @atul221282

Let me tag @alicanterenodb to make them aware of your question about the materials used. The clear polycarbonate could possibly be the Suntuf 900 x 600 x 5mm Clear Acrylic Sheet and the aluminium strip will depend on the size that you need. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the area you are trying to cover? This will give our members a better idea of what it looks like. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects