Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Pool hut roofing replacement

pnaylor
Getting Established

Pool hut roofing replacement

Hi All 

Would love your thoughts and ideas with replacing the existing Thatching with something more modern, planning to repaint the Hut and tidy it up but really need to replace the roof the thatching ends up in the pool and the Birds love building a nest out of would love to hear your ideas. excuse the messy hut. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hut roof replacement 3m x 3mHut roof replacement 3m x 3m

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pool hut roofing replacement

Hello @pnaylor

Thank you for sharing your proposed pool hut roofing project.

I love Bali Huts. They always make me feel like I'm at the beach. The most straightforward upgrade would be to use Corrugated Roofing. You can use polycarbonate, which will let some of the sunlight in or steel which you can paint so that it blends in with the hut. Some of the other materials that you can use are roofing tiles, textured roof tiles, and terracotta tiles. Please keep in mind that using these materials means that you will have to modify the roofing frame of your hut so that it can take the weight of the new roof.

You could also go in the other direction and remove the roof and upgrade it to a pergola style timber slat roofing. To protect you from the weather I suggest using Shade Cloth in combination with Polycarbonate Roofing. It sounds like a fantastic upgrade to your hut. Any updates you can provide while working on it would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @diy_hausdesigns and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Re: Pool hut roofing replacement

Hi @pnaylor,

That's a nice pool hut you've got there, but I agree the thatching is looking a little tired and worse for wear.

Corrugated Steel would give you a nice look, the only issue will be cutting the sheets to match the angle of each section. If you go down this route it may be worth investing in a nibbler (or paying a professional to install). Trying to cut angles across large sheets of steel is a heap of effort and hard to do accurately with snips, and not ideal with and angle grinder (although at a stretch can be done). Polycarbonate might be easier (I haven't worked with it myself but I assume it would cut reasonably well with a hand saw?

If you're not desperate for it to be 100% water-tight you could even consider using timber weatherboards for a different look.

Keep us updated with your progress and best of luck! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects