Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled pallet wood outdoor table

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Recycled pallet wood outdoor table

3BB4A45A-1BCA-403D-BF80-33DD3AE5FBC6.jpeg

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Re: Recycled Pallet “Monster” Outdoor Table, *wood burn effect*

This is my favourite project to date. The size of table is 1.6X2.1 and all made from pallets besides the form work.

i will include in photos a really easy way of giving your work the exact same effect as mine. If you would like a video then click on this link and followi my page. I will have one up shortly. 

E89A8806-250B-470B-B31C-4B996ACF5879.jpeg

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

21E754F2-5880-41A2-8945-73205211968E.jpegOnce I had the table made and sanded I was ready to stain, well not the stain you buy off the shelf, you just need to buy your self a small gas blowtorch like the one pictured, and let the torch do the burning, you just need to guide it along your work,

dont worry to Much if you think you burn it a bit to much In some spots, it’s all about the effect yeah ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Looks fantastic. Many thanks for sharing @LePallet. I'm sure this will inspire plenty of other Workshop members.

Have you or are you going to apply anything to the timber after the blowtorch?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Jason yeah I applied timber oil for the finish. Not only will it protect the table, it brought out the grain which looks awesome 

Tracyk
Just Starting Out

Re: Recycled pallet wood outdoor table

I would like to know how to build this table. It’s gorgeous. Is there a link to an instructional video?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apologies for the slow reply @Tracyk. Perhaps @LePallet has been on holidays like me! I've tagged him now so I'm sure he will get back to you as soon as possible, although I doubt Rylie would have an instructional video. Perhaps you could ask some specific questions that he could answer to help get you started?

Let me also extend a very warm and overdue welcome to the community. We're rapt to have you join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@LePallet

Wow this looks fantastic!! I’ve seen some tutorials recently of the wood burn effect but this is by far the best end finish. 

Weird question - did the smell from the burn hang around long? 

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Thanks @Tara86 there was a lot of Burning as you can see. I did this in my garage with the door up, it had some smell at the time but after a while it went away. It’s not noticeable afterwards. I hope that helps 

How do you prevent it from rotting from the inside out, as pallet wood is not treated? The oil (which is great!) will protect the exterior surfaces but water will enter through internal surfaces/endgrains.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects