Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recycled pallet wood outdoor table

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Recycled pallet wood outdoor table

3BB4A45A-1BCA-403D-BF80-33DD3AE5FBC6.jpeg

Re: Recycled Pallet “Monster” Outdoor Table, *wood burn effect*

Many thanks for joining in the discussion @Tanewhaiaipo. Let me tag the wonderful @LePallet so he is alerted to your question.

Welcome to the community. We're looking forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand as we have helpful members sharing advice and inspiration on the site every day.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

@Tanewhaiaipo That is one way of thinking about this question if you think it will rot.

With this table it’s all undercover, obviously will experience the frost and humidity but how I look at it is how I look at pallets in general. Have you noticed how long a pallet last outside in the weather all year round. And not even rot. I think it being a soft wood and is heat treated, it does soak up the water but also dries.

back to normal state.  So just like furniture UV oil is recommended on top and underneath. This definitely avoids the timber from absorbing water and moisture and over winter I recommend covering your furniture with a cover 

Jojo69
Cultivating a Following

20200419_065745.jpgHi, i have been studying and working on "Shou Sugi Ban", it is an old Japanese tradition of burning the wood to make it water and fire proof.  It leaves an amazing 3D effect when done the traditional way, and they would not strip them back, they would make the houses out of the burnt wood..  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jojo69

Shou Sugi Ban is a fascinating traditional way of working with wood. I was only just watching a video about it the other night. You are getting some great colour effects with the Rit fabric dye.

Feel free to start your own topic also, as I'm sure all our members would appreciate you showing us how you get this effect. I'm particularly keen to give it a go and some instructions would be fantastic!

Please let me know if you need any assistance getting the most out of the site and we look forward to seeing more of your Shou Sugi Ban.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Phil8303
Getting Established

Re: Recycled pallet wood outdoor table

this is awesome!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects