Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retro caravan renovation

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Retro caravan renovation

CaravanAfter.jpg

Renovated an old 70s Millard caravan from scratch with a Penguin Classics book theme.

Hard work, but well worth the results of a Xmas Holiday project!!

Before 2.jpg

Before 1.jpg

Before 3.jpg

Pic 7.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 10.jpg

Radio.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Renovated an old 70s Millard caravan...

Hi @Gail1,

I see you made a blank post. Please let me know if you need a hand with anything. I am happy to assist.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Feel free to post whenever you need help or have something to share. We have many community members sharing their experience and knowledge and who would love to assist with your projects and plans.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
karonF
Just Starting Out

Hi @Peggers

I’m in the process of doing the same caravan Reno atm wondering what you used around the windows as trim?

Or if you have any suggestions?

I lined the walls with mini orb in mine

Thanks Karon  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @karonF,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. I've alerted Rob to your question and hopefully he'll be able to get back to you soon. It would be great to see your caravan - perhaps you could share some photos of what you have done?

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@karonF Hi there. I didn't add any trims, just sanded the windows well, then sprayed them with silver paint which brought them up really nicely.

karonF
Just Starting Out

Ok thanks 😊
Stellaj
Just Starting Out

Re: Retro caravan renovation

Looks great. What paint did you use? Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Stellaj. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

Let me mention @Peggers so he is notified of you kind comment and your question.

I suspect Rob has most likely used several types of paint for different elements on the caravan. Perhaps it was the exterior or interior paint you were interested in knowing about? If you could let us know I trust that will assist Rob in answering your question. You should find Rob's series of step-by-step tutorials helpful: How to renovate a caravan - Part 1How to renovate a caravan - Part 2 and How to renovate a caravan - Part 3. In part 2 he mentions what paint to use.

Do you have your own caravan renovation project in the works?

We look forward to seeing what projects you have going on around your house and garden and would encourage you to let us know anytime you need assistance or had something to share. I'm sure you'll find loads of inspiration here as our creative members are contributing their amazing projects here every day.

Mitchell

Dear Jason

I have my father and mother's old Franklin caravan and I am interested in renovating it. How much did you spend on your project. How much do you sell it for? Wanting to make my mum and dad proud and to revamp it as well.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @JoanLes2021. It's fantastic that you've joined us and many thanks for your questions.

Let me mention @Peggers, so they are alerted to your questions, and hopefully, they can shed some light on the cost of renovating a caravan. I suspect it will largely depend on whether it will be a full gutting of the interior or just a cosmetic renovation. Perhaps you might like to show us some images of your caravan, so we know what you'll be working with.

I look forward to hearing more about your project and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share it with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our amazing members contribute various projects here every day.

Mitchell

HI @JoanLes2021, I've renovated a few caravans and the budget can vary depending on the condition - the very minimum I've spent is $900 for a van that just needed a bit of a lift. But I've spent $5000 on some vans - although that would include fridge. cooker, new windows, new curtains, cushions, everything!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects