Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Round Merbau platter table for camping

PaulaD
Getting Established

Round Merbau platter table for camping

I purchased a piece of round Merbau (SpecRite 400mm round timber panel Merbau FJ Laminated) with the vision of making it into a small snack/platter table to take camping.

I did not realise the issue with tannins in the wood, due to my excitement at the time I have a brilliant idea! 🤦🏻‍♀️

I am wondering what the hell do I do now to make it usable.

Do I hose it (to bleed the tannins), dry it then treat it with a brush-on polyurethane or do I just apply the brush-on polyurethane? Or can I just use a kitchen bench oil etc. https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-400mm-26mm-round-timber-panel-merbau-fj-laminated_p0248917 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Round Merbau platter table for camping

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PaulaD. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about prepping Merbau timber.

Have you had tannin bleed issues with this product, or have you just read about tannin bleed on Merbau, specifically decking? The product image appears as if it has potentially already had the tannins leached, and that is what I would expect from a product designed for things like tabletops. The description also indicates that you should "Seal all sides of the panel with an appropriate treatment - oil, wax or lacquer before use." whilst making no mention of needing to bleed any tannins.

I'll be keen to hear whether you are currently experiencing an issue or whether you are trying to avoid one. As for your intended purpose, I am under the impression that you're right to add a food-safe oil, wax or lacquer to your new charcuterie board and graze away. I'd recommend Gilly's 250ml Chopping Board Oil.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
PaulaD
Getting Established

Hi Michael,

I haven’t done anything to it yet. When I took the plastic off yesterday I read the warning about the tannins. I just wanted to make sure I’m doing the right thing that’s all. All other cutting boards etc I’ve used grapeseed oil to keep them in good condition but they weren’t Merbau. 
Thanks for your recommendation. I’ll look it up and give it a try.

Fingers crossed all goes well.

Cheers!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Can you please post an image of the timber @PaulaD? I should be able to tell you from the look of it how tannin bound it is and whether you should be concerned.

Could you let me know what the tannin warning was? It might just be a generic warning in case someone allowed something like white linen to rub against it.

Mitchell

PaulaD
Getting Established

I did post the link to the item in the original post but here is a pic and the Tannin warning.

528CA852-68A2-4EAA-B936-84408C417401.jpeg

96893421-1B96-456F-9CE4-7944C4111A10.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PaulaD

Looking at the picture it does not seem to be oversaturated with tannin. But just to be safe a stiff brush and a thorough washing as recommended on the label should flush out most of the excess tannin in the timber. Make sure to do it over the grass as the tannins do tend to stain tile and cement walkways. Let it dry off in the shade as excess heat from sunlight could damage the timber. Once the timber is totally dry, you can then apply the sealant of your choice.

Just to be on the safe side, wrap the timber platter in a tea towel you won't mind getting stained. This will at least protect the rest of your gear should there be any incidental staining.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

ladysnow
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric

i am following this as I also purchased these and have use resin to paint half the board. Can I use a poly acrylic to seal so they are safe for use with food or oil?

I am wanting to use as a cheese platter. 

1EBA4E67-CFE9-41B3-B958-1BD9FF970F00.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ladysnow

Generally, polyacrylic and polyurethane are food safe finishes as long as they have fully cured. It is recommended that you don't use the finished surface as a cutting board as this will chip the finish. I suggest using a separate chopping board for cutting and chopping. Please note that it is always prudent to check the information printed at the back of the container you're using. It will often indicate if the product is food safe.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects