Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Screen in front of Colorbond Fence on retaining wall

sach000
Finding My Feet

Screen in front of Colorbond Fence on retaining wall

Hello Community,

I am looking to add feature wall in front of colorbond fence or at least do timber panels to cover it. Something similar to the picture below

sach000_3-1624773348529.png

Here is the challenge I have.

1. Cannot dig holes deeper than 300 mm as this is a rocky area and I remember during retaining wall build we had to call bigger machine to break the rock and then drill.

Here is what I am thinking

As seen another projects in the forum, there is a requirement to create frame before hiding anything, hence below is my idea of the frame.

Since I cannot dig deeper i will make concrete column 300 mm above ground as well and may add some steel to add strength

sach000_0-1624775508439.png

Some pictures of the fence that need to be covered.

sach000_5-1624775097050.jpeg

Help Required

Is there another simpler way to achieve this rather than doing so much of concreting, i mean can we install panel directly on colorbond fence or may be have some anchots which can sit between rail and panels.

Any ideas ?

Regards

Sach

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screen in front of Colorbond Fence on retaining wall

Hello @sach000,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and sharing your query about adding a screen to an existing fence.

Before I make recommendations would it be possible for you to take a closer photo of the posts used in the retaining wall? There are options for you to add timber posts to the existing retaining wall. From your first photo, it appears to be a Retain-iT® 75mm System. If it is then you can use an extension system to add a post. 

Here is a guide that might be an option for you. How to Install a Fence Bracket Onto Your Retaining Wall. I've also included a link to our Top 10 most popular fence projects. There is a similar project on the list that involves adding a screen to an existing fence.

I look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Here is the picture of retaining wall post. Its a h beam post, and fence post is already mounted on it.

4220FAA3-2EFC-43AE-AD51-7724E70EBB48.jpeg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks for sharing that extra image @sach000 and I trust that the links Eric has shared have been helpful for you.

@EricL will be more than happy to help further when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me tag @ProjectPete and @diy_hausdesigns to see if they can offer any thoughts in the meantime. You may like to check out the project Fence makeover for the pool area by @ProjectPete and Timber screening on fence by @diy_hausdesigns

Stevie

Hi @sach000 

I remember seeing an image like that prior to building my screen fence. I didn't want to dig down so I used some heavy duty bolts to attached the verticals to the retaining wall. It turned out very very sturdy. Have a look at my project that @StevieB pointed out. I included some sketches and a detailed images of the progress.

All the best.

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @sach000,

I shared the link to @diy_hausdesigns's completed project, but you may find it helpful to take a look at this discussion with sketches and project updates along the way: Timber Screening - Feature wall.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects