Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Side access - Job done!

Allan72
Having an Impact

Side access - Job done!

Hi All, I had to post and share - finally finished the side access to my house (but still have the other side to do!). Am stoked it’s now done. A big job that tested a range of skills - plumbing (basic stormwater drainage), concreting, paving, retaining walls, pergola, screened fence and gate, screened gas meter and some plants for good measure. The pergola serves as a shed (about 6.5m in length). The gate can be secured. Happy to pass on the lessons I learnt. Am enjoying a cold one tonight. 03F48243-0659-4D1D-BEAE-4B06C9176A97.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Side access - Job done!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NoComment. It's brilliant to have you join us and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

It's fantastic to hear this project has inspired you. Let me mention @Allan72, so they are notified of your kinds comments.

I've been making great use of our Merbau screening around my property to hide those unsightly bits and pieces. It can be budget-friendly and is ready to be installed. Some great examples are the SpecRite 1800 x 902mm Merbau Slat Screen Panel and SpecRite 1800 x 600 x 33mm Merbau Garden Fence Panel.

We look forward to hearing about your projects around the house and garden, and we'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance or would like to share them with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our amazing members are contributing their projects here every day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Wondering - what is the best way/product to fix the sleepers on top?  And would it be suitable to sit on, or just more of a bench or aesthetic solution?  Thank you !

Thanks for joining in the discussion and apologies for the slow reply @jodee-bee. Let me tag @Allan72 for you to see if he might like to share how he secured the sleepers in this popular project. 

I will also tag experienced members including @Brad and @Adam_W for their thoughts. 

Normally the ever-helpful @MitchellMc would be on hand to assist but he is taking a well-earned break this week. Many thanks for your patience in the meantime. We are looking forward to reading more about your own plans. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @jodee-bee if it was timber it's easy enough to screw them down using long bugle-batten landscape screws but as it appears they are concrete sleepers you'd need to use a suitable landscape-grade construction adhesive.
If properly fixed this way they should be suitable as a light-duty bench-seat.

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Great project, well done @Allan72 and excellent points on ladder safety. Maybe worth bringing up this older video of mine with some ladder use tips...

Hi @jodee-bee 

I secured the timber sleepers to the concrete sleepers using galvanised masonry anchors (2 per sleeper). I drilled through through the timber sleeper and then drilled corresponding holes into the sleeper. I was careful not to make the hole too much of a tight fit for the anchor as I didn’t want to risk cracking the sleeper as I fastened it in (with a socket wrench). It worked well - no cracking, even after a couple of years. They are stable and can be walked on, which I often do to cut the hedge you can see above the fence. I also applied a small bead of silicone around the top of the hole as the anchor’s were fastened in, just to provide some protection against moisture getting to the sleeper’s internal reinforcement bars. The other option is to glue them down as per @Adam_W @‘s suggestion. This would work too and I did think of it at the time. I went with the anchor screw as I thought it might make it easier to remove/replace the wooden sleeper if and when I needed to. Hope that helps. 

Thanks @Adam_W. Great video! It was the safety bracing on the 6’ safety ladder that got me a couple of years ago. I had engaged only one of the two safety braces and it became dislodged as I moved the ladder, often, when working on a pergola. I didn’t end up in hospital but gee whiz the fall hurt. I ended up with a big impact cut on my stomach. The scar is still there today and it is a good reminder that complacency kills. 

No worries @Allan72 and ouch... so easy to do isn't it? I think statistically that ladder falls year after year make up the highest number of accidents in the home for blokes over 50...
And yes, masonry anchors can work well in such situations but personally I'd avoid any of the 'expanding' type bolts. Screw-bolts are the best choice when you have thinner masonry substrates or are close to an edge.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects