Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stair Stringers required

Jujus
Just Starting Out

Stair Stringers required

I am building a deck and need to replace the stairs.  I have 2 metal stringers so far but not sure what is the maximum width I can have my stairs.  I live in Queensland and can not seem to find any information regarding this.  My deck height is high enough to need 6 stairs.  Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stair Stringers required

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jujus. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

When you mention maximum width are you referring to the distance between handrails?

Information about external staircase construction can be found in the Building Code of Australia Part 3.9.1. and additional regulations outlined in AS 1428.1, AS/NZ 4586 and AS 1657. Most of the information, which I can access, is around minimum requirements. In regards to a maximum width, you might find restrictions focus more on adequate construction technique to ensure the load forces are addressed in your situation.

I would encourage you to get in contact with your local council to see if there are any specific requirements in your area and also for more information contact the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.

Please let me know if you need further information or have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects