Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Stormwater pit too low. How to raise

jbob4
Finding My Feet

Stormwater pit too low. How to raise

CADD1A88-C13E-45FE-B1A8-96DEA0F91D06.jpegA couple of stormwater pits in the backyard was built too low. I want to raise them. Do I need council approval? Can we do it ourselves and how?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stormwater pit too low. How to raise

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jbob4. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about stormwater pits.

Would you be able to show our helpful members a picture of these pits or provide some additional information about them? That would allow us to give some relevant advice on your situation.

When you say that they were built too low, what exactly is the issue with them? An image would likely help illustrate this. Be aware that if you're going to raise or lower a pit, you need to maintain the fall on the connecting pipes. Depending on the setup, it might be as simple as digging the pit out of the ground whilst disconnecting the pipes, raising the soil level, re-installing the pit, and re-connecting the pipes.

You won't need Council permission unless these pits are owned by the council and on an easement on your property. However, before commencing work, you'll need to check whether you require the services of a qualified drainage expert in your area. In many locations around Australia, you're not allowed to D.I.Y. your own drainage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, I’ve added a picture. The put needs to be raised because the ground will need to be raised as well. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for the image @jbob4. It looks like a pit riser that you place over the existing pit to change the height would work a treat. This would be a great solution because the existing pit can stay where it is.

If you see one of our helpful Special Orders team members at your local store and give them the dimension of your pit, they'll be able to contact Everhard and order a suitable riser for you.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc thanks for your answer. I have a similar problem with @jbob4 but I think I need to raise it by 600mm. Would I be able to get a riser that high? Thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Zanish,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

I'll have to do a bit of investigation for you to find out if the pit risers can be used in conjunction with each other. If they can, then getting to 600mm should not be an issue. Let me try to find out more and as soon as I have more information I'll let you know. Would it be possible for you to please tell me the size of your pit? 

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Zanish,

If your current pit is 600mm below where it should be, then that would be a situation where you'd use pipework to reach the correct height and then install a pit there. The pit risers mentioned here will likely fit inside each other, giving you the required height, but that certainly wouldn't be the most economical way to go about the fix.

I'd recommend removing the current pit, installing pipework to the correct height, and then re-installing the pit.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellM the stormwater drain is a council stormwater drain in my backyard so I cannot remove the pit. See the photo attached.

WhatsApp Image 2022-12-24 at 22.04.50.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Zanish,

You'll need to discuss the issue with your council/local water authority to find out what viable solutions are available. You can't modify a water authority-owned stormwater drain without the required approval. I'm not sure why you need to raise the pit 600mm, but please be advised that there is likely an easement over that part of your property which might come with stipulations such as that you're only able to complete non-permanent works in that area.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects