Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber Deck

Kevin65
Getting Established

Timber Deck

Hi Folks

Looking for a couple of tips please.

Finally finished paint stripping our back deck.

The timber is treated pine.

Too many nails were too hard and a lot of effort to try and get flush, to be able to use an industrial sander to remove the surface paint, previous owner decided to paint over the previous stain.

So after several weeks of using 20 litres of paint stripper, finally have removed all previous surfaces.

There are blemishes of previous stains etc left on the timber, looks pretty trendy actually; wife likes the current look.

The plan now is; this is where some tips will assist

1) Sand deck now with fine sandpaper; hoping to only have to sand once, fine sandpaper or medium is the better option?

2) Then the big question, the wife wants to stain the deck, then oil the deck.

3) Recommendations on just staining compared to stain and oil.

4) Don’t want to ever; have to do this again, that is paint stripping, sanding etc

Hoping that if we put a couple of coats of stain on deck, then annually only have to wash down and add another couple of coats of stain?

Please help, this is killing me:

Have been at this deck for about 6 weeks, still have to paint the second coat on hand rails etc

Attached phots of before and afterAfter using paint stripper to remove previous paint and stainsAfter using paint stripper to remove previous paint and stainsPainted DeckPainted Deck

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Deck

Hi @Kevin65. Thanks for the update on your progress.

Sanding is used to either prep a deck because it is rough and damaged or to strip the stain off it. If you are happy with the look of it now and there are no splinters a fine sanding will smooth it ready for coating. If you want to ensure not having to sand a second time it would be wise to go with medium grit.

Staining separately will allow you more control over the final colour. You can keep adding coats of stain to deepen the colour, this might be advisable as at the moment there is a significant mottled pattern to the deck. 

Generally, you should only need to sand again if you have lapsed in the oil coating and allowed the deck to become damaged.

If you have further questions or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell

Appreciated

Hi Mitchell

Do you recommend oiling the deck after staining?

or just several coats of stain?

Just not sure if the oil is required?

Regards Kevin

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Kevin65,

@MitchellMc will be back on the site on Friday. In the meantime let me tag a couple of very helpful members in @ProjectPete and @Brad to see if they might like to share their tips for oiling your deck. 

Thanks,

Jason

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Kevin65.

You will need to apply an oil after the stain. The stain changes the colour (oil deepens the colour also) but the oil protects and seals the timber.

Mitchell

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Kevin65
Getting Established

Appreciated 

Stain and Oil

thanks, again appreciated 

are u there Mitchell?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Elik,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're so pleased you could join us. Mitch will be back on the site to answer any questions you have tomorrow. Fire away - we're here to help. 

Are you building your own deck?

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Elik,

Is there a question I can assist you with? I'd be more than happy to help.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects