Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber Screening - Feature wall.

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Timber Screening - Feature wall.

Hi all

I'm looking to install some screening using some vertical timber posts 100mmx100mmx2.2m

IMG_20200902_155129_592.jpg

I was planning on using screws. Some into the sleeper and some into the shorter post. Is this ideal and is it the best way to connect to the existing timber?

20200822_175130.jpg

Cheers all.

Update on my progress. Posts are up and in place ! Thanks @MitchellMc the fixings you recommended worked well. More to come !

20200905_133201.jpg

Finished the painting - perfect day for it today.

20200906_160628.jpg

Progress shot 9/11/2020

IMG_1845.jpg

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber Post for Screening

Hi @diy_hausdesigns,

With the limited space you'd find it difficult to concrete the post into the ground. The next best option would be to screw the post in which I believe would be sufficient if only supporting screening. I'd advise using Zenith M8 x 130mm Tech Shield Coach Screws (which is the longest available before they will penetrate the far side) to screw into the retaining wall horizontals. When screwing into the upright I'd switch to a slightly longer Zenith M10 x 150mm Tech Shield Coach Screws.

You can countersink the heads into the post to get a little more penetration into the timbers. You might also like to add some Zenith M8 Hot Dipped Galvanised Washers to stop the heads pulling into the timber. I'd recommend three coach screws on both sides of the post. You'll want to predrill the screw holes as coach screws can have a tendency to snap the head off if not pre-drilled.

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Timber Post for Screening

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I'll track down the products and some materials and see how I go with this. Cheers for the confidence building advice! 

20200823_124056.jpg

Cheers again

Chaks 

----
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Backyard Screen wall

Thanks to great advice from this forum, I've kicked off this project. It'll take a bit of time but I'll keep you all posted on progress.

IMG_20200902_155129_592.jpg

20200821_120223.jpg

20200905_133929.jpg

20200906_160628.jpg

----

Re: Backyard Screen wall

@diy_hausdesigns,

That's looking great so far! Many thanks for posting your progress shots.

What type of panelling or screening are you planning on using?

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I'm using the Matrix screen panels and Merbau panels. Unfortunately the weekend weather is horrible so this one will take a bit longer. 

Keep an eye out.

----

Followers of this discussion might be keen to see the completed project here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor/Timber-screening-on-fence/m-p/49456

Jason

greg2
Just Starting Out

Re: Timber Screening - Feature wall.

@diy_hausdesigns 

Hi, looks great, What color stain is on the timber please, cheers

Re: Timber Screening - Feature wall.

@greg2 

I've used a natural stain which brings up the original merbau look and I've used the merbau  stain which worked equally as well.

Cheers 

----

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects