Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber decking bleeding where boards are butting

Patto
Having an Impact

Timber decking bleeding where boards are butting

I have a new Merbau deck which has been down for a few months now. I have been wetting it down to assist with the bleeding/weathering as majority is not exposed to the weather. It’s now at the stage of preping for Aquadeck to go down. I’m seeking advice on the end to end bleeding where the decking boards butt up to each other. If I apply a natural Aquadeck will this darker section where the end to end bleeding has occurred show through?  I was not going to sand as the boards are new and smooth. The image may help to show what I’m referencing. Thanks 

3051254B-E149-4465-8FF8-9F3AA6784CE8.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber decking bleeding where boards are butting

Hello @Patto

Your Merbau deck looks fantastic. This condition often occurs when the decking panels are joined together and no space is provided for the tannin to bleed out. I suggest using Cabot's 2L New Timber Prep. I recommend testing it in an area on your deck that will not be immediately noticeable.  Cabot’s New Timber Prep is designed to remove tannins and oils from bare new timber surfaces to allow for immediate coating. If it successfully removes the tannin on the joins, you can then apply it to the rest of the joins that have a similar condition.

We would be keen to see the finish on your deck once you've stained it with Aquadeck. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @ProjectPete and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Patto
Having an Impact

Thanks for the suggestion @EricL  really appreciate it. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @Patto, and reach out if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc I’ll need to put in an online order and will get cracking on it on the next clear weekend of weather. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects