Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber-free deck

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Timber-free deck

Hi all,

Well, after a few hassles we've finished stage one of our timber-free deck around our pool.

Frame is pre-fab steel from SteelDeck and the deck is HardieDeck.

Pretty happy with the result.

One annoying finishing thing we had trouble with was the painting.

You use a paving paint to seal the HardieDeck & because it's beside a pool we added the correct non-slip grit to the paint following the [very vague...] instructions.

In some areas it's conspicuously thick with grit the problem being you really only saw this once dry & there's no way to fix it short of sanding everything back...

I can live with it but Denise... not so happy...

I'll have a video of the project soon for anyone interested.

AHW21352.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Finished our timber-free deck!

Thanks for sharing @Adam_W. I reckon it looks great!

Perhaps one of our resident paint experts like @Simon or @Brad might have tips they can share for ensuring a more even grit coverage next time. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Ok, after much editing here's the video of the project...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The HardieDeck system looks terrific @Adam_W. Thanks for show how easy it is to install. I'm sure your work will inspire other community members. The finished result is fantastic. 

Jason

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Not sure where you get paint expert from @Jason ? My paint mixing skills are now redundent...

Grit would tend to settle in the bottom of the can I think and bottom of the can is hard to mix at the best of times.

Turning the tin upside down for a while may have the grit near the top when you start mixing making it easier to get a more even blend.

Power stirer over hand mixing.

Mix regualy while you are painting.

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Thanks @Brad, I think the issue with this grit additive is that really long strokes are needed as you are applying it and you need to 'work' the paint a little once it's on to get even distribution.
Unfortunately there was no information on the tin about application techniques & even when I checked the company's webpage they didn't have any tips on using THEIR grit with THEIR paint.
Not a lot of help. Should have seen that as a red-flag to start with perhaps.

Suesnews
Getting Established

Re: Timber-free deck

hi this looks great!  The painting looks very smart.  Im wondering about the maintenance on this versus having to continually oil a deck - I'm guessing this may be lower maintenance?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Timber-free deck

Hi @Suesnews,

Let me mention @Adam_W so he is alerted to your question. I have heard from another member that they do virtually no maintenance apart from washing it down occasionally. I look forward to hearing what maintenance Adam conducts.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects