Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Weather-proof spa enclosure with a view

alicanterenodb
Making a Splash

Weather-proof spa enclosure with a view

Bunnings DIY Spa Room 9.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 16.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 17.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 18.jpgBunnings DIY SPA ROOM 1.jpgBUNNINGS DIY SPA ROOM 2.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 4.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 5.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 6.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 19.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 3.jpgBunnings DIY Spa room 15.jpgBunnings DIY Spa room 11.jpgBunnings DIY Spa Room 14.jpg

We originally bought the spa so we can use it all year round but we quickly realised that without some kind of enclosure it would have been impossible especially with winter temperatures dropping to zero.Aso the timber casing was needing too much maintenace. So the Plan was to construct the slab and move the spa to its location and then build the enclosure around it. Since there was no access to the back I hired a pump to pour the cement directly onto the site of the build. Unfortunately it did not go well as the cement mixture was too dry and the pump kept getting blocked. Eventually the slab was down and after some time I hired a crane to move the spa to its new location. I constructed the walls from treated pine and built each section From the ground up seven in total and except for the main back wall each has a window (6 windows in total) The main window is large enough for the spa to fit through in case we ever decide to do dispose of it.The ceiling section was very challenging especiall with the spa right smack in the middle. My design included a skylight which also acted as a vent in summer. for the roof covering we used  corrugated colourbond. All external wall reinforced with ply wood and cladded with James Hardie 4200x170x9mm weather board.

The internal covering was very challenging & Tedious. I used 140 X 12mmlining Board Pine. I think it all came together really well.

Except for the windows bunnings was the main supplier including floor tiles. Dulux  top coat on all primed weatherboard.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Weather-proof spa enclosure with a view

Hi @alicanterenodb,

This is another impressive project you have created! It may even make it into our Top Ideas D.I.Y. Projects page one day. I really love the cladding and how it continues into the skylight. You mentioned many of the sections were challenging, how did you overcome them? Did it just take time to accomplish each section? 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Bunnings  DIY 2.jpgBunnins DIY 1.jpgHi KatieC

Thank you for your for your kind comments. Throughout all of my DIY projects I have always tried to balance the budget and unfortunately sometimes personal safety came last. I would not recommend uindertaking a project such as this one singlehanded.The major difficulty was carrying out the work with the spa in the centre of the build. My method of placing 2 stepladders either end with a large plank was to say the least a very inefficient way to carry out the work. In hindsight a scaffolding network around the spa would have been the safest and speed construction exponentially. Cladding of the walls was quite Satisfying since each length and end angle was identical from bottom to top.When constructing the walls originally, special care needs to be taken that they are completely square and the dimensions accurate to 1 to 2 mm. Of course my Dewalt Cordless Circular Saw was a must. Once the angle is set the cut was beatifully executed. However because of its geometrical shape,cladding the ceiling was a different story since every piece had to be  individually measured and cut.Unfortunately I don't know of an easy way to to this other than trial and error. Happy to say that I met the 1mm target and zero fillers used for the entire cladding. 

Hi @alicanterenodb,

Well done throughout your entire process! A tricky build but paid off very well. I am very impressed that your 1mm target was met for your ceiling cladding and without filler! 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects