Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What do I need to bolt the Milano Gazebo kit to merbau decking?

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

What do I need to bolt the Milano Gazebo kit to merbau decking?

746F649C-0EBA-4A89-BE2D-2F1D845531BA.png

For our little outdoor privacy project we’ve purchased this gazebo kit. We are currently building a GoodTimes 3.34 x 3.34 Merbau deck from Bunnings onto an old gravel patch we had a shed sitting on for a while. I have never dealt with any jobs involving concreting before so we’re going to just use pavers as suggested in the decking kit instructions. We are planning to just bolt this gazebo directly onto the wood for the deck when it’s finished. What sort of bolts would be recommended to use for this job?

kind regards, Lindie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What do I need to bolt the Milano Gazebo kit to merbau decking?

Hello @LJ1809

Putting up a Gazebo is a fantastic addition to your deck. This would be the perfect opportunity for you to build a cement footing for your gazebo. You will have to build some formwork but with this type of footing, you will comply with the council's rules and regulations. It will not stress the deck fixings or any of its panels. You can build it in such a way that you can unscrew the footing of the Gazebo, but keep the deck unharmed. Although it is possible to mount the gazebo to the Merbau panels it's not recommended as a strong cyclone or heavy storm will simply lift it off the deck panels.  

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

thank you! Can you give me some advice as to the form work for the footings? What sort of cement do you recommend, and do I need to dig four holes under the deck to put the fittings into the ground?  

the deck is 3.34 x 3.34 and the gazebo is 3 x 3. How will I get the footings built for the gazebo while it sits on the deck? Do I need to cut gaps in the decking and fill the formwork to sit flush with the top of the deck so I can easily screw and unscrew the gazebo if i need to move it later? 

thank you again so much I appreciate the advice. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LJ1809

You will have to give careful consideration and measure very well where the Gazebo feet are going to be positioned. Depending on how you wish to do it, I suggest having the footing just below the deck panels so that it does not intrude too much on the overall look of your deck. 

Here are the suggested steps to positioning your Gazebo.

• Before starting check your local council on the rules and regulations on how deep a footing should be for a 3 x 3 gazebo.
  • Assemble the Gazebo and temporarily place it on your deck. Make sure that the footing of the Gazebo does not line up with any of the timber framing of the deck. Once you find your ideal position mark it with a pencil. Put a masking tape marker on the foot of the Gazebo to indicate where the Gazebo is supposed to face and be installed. 
  • Remove the decking panels and mark the ground where you are supposed to dig for the footing.  
  • Dig the necessary size and depth as required by the council rules. Use a builders string line to make sure that the formwork is all on the same level. I recommend placing the height just below the decking panels. Make sure to allow space for the mounting hardware. 
  • Fill the footing with Australian Builders 20kg Concrete Mix. Flatten the top and use a level to make sure that the top of the concrete footing is flat. Make sure the cement footing is fully cured before drilling into it. 
  • I suggest using Ramset M10 x 130mm ChemSet Anchor Stud - 10 Pack to anchor the Gazebo posts to the cement footing.

I've placed a sample diagram below to give you an idea of what it will look like, if you have any questions, please let me know. Please note that measurements placed are for reference only, adjust them to your needs or as required by the regulations of the local council.

Eric

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

@EricL 

Wow! Thank you. You have really gone above and beyond with helping me out with these footings and I’m so grateful for your information, recommendations, and guidance. 

I will definitely be following these instructions and will keep you posted on how it turns out. I’m still currently waiting on the gazebo to be delivered but while I wait I can measure the deck and start the prep work. I won’t be drilling into the cement until it’s properly set. For someone who has no idea about cement work I definitely feel a lot more confident going into the project than what I did before your post.

Thank you so much again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LJ1809,

Although advertising images clearly show this gazebo being mounted on decking, I'd have to agree with @EricL that mounting the feet to concrete would be the best solution. This is backed by the installations instructions, which have no mention of timber, and the only advised method is on laying concrete foundations. If you were to mount it on the deck, you'd definitely want it bolted into the structural timbers and not just the decking boards.

I'll be looking forward to following along with the build.

Mitchell

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

@EricL @MitchellMc  

Thank you again for the feedback. Unfortunately it’s been raining cats and dogs the last couple of weeks so my projects been brought to a halt. @EricL with that particular cement am I able to just mix it on a sheet of plastic or a wheelbarrow with a shovel and some water or do I ideally need to buy or hire a cement mixer? I’m sorry, like mentioned, I’ve never used cement before so trying to get as much information as possible before I start. I am confident with building the footings/framework for it. Just want to make sure if I use a bit of water and a shovel that the cement will be ok to use/sets properly etc. 

thank you again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @LJ1809,

Since you'll only be laying four foundations for the gazebo, you'll be able to mix the concrete for them in a wheelbarrow or on a plastic sheet. Just make sure you give it a good mixing and follow the directions on the packet.

Are you still going with the pavers under the deck? If so, as per my image above, you'll only need footers 400mmW x 400mmD x 100mmH. That's substantially smaller than the 400mmW x 400mmD x 400mmH needed in just soil.

Mitchell

LJ1809
Cultivating a Following

Update! So the rain finally eased over the weekend and we have discovered that our soil under the deck is quite boggy so I’ve had to readjust it in several spots (luckily with the adjustable legs that was very easy-but I can’t imagine it would be easy once I have a gazebo on top of it). We have decided it might be more profitable for us in the long run of things to move the deck to another part of the yard in the meantime and lay a concrete slab for a foundation for both the deck and gazebo. I don’t see myself going outside with a drill on a weekly basis to remove the deck panels and adjust the legs so this is probably the better option for us and as a positive on top of that-we can put the gazebo up and secure it into the concrete and not worry about it ever blowing away should a sudden huge gust of wind come into the yard. I’ve rung around and got a few quotes and have been estimated about $433 for a cubic metre including delivery. I’m not sure if that’s including laying or if that’s something I will have to try do once they deliver the concrete. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and it seems doable enough. What are your opinions and advice please? 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @LJ1809,

@tom_builds shared How to pour a concrete slab and may have some advice to share here. @EricL will also be happy to help when he's back on the site this evening.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects