Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is suitable for an outdoor dining tabletop?

Ry
Just Starting Out

What is suitable for an outdoor dining tabletop?

Hi all, 

I am looking at creating an outdoor dining table and would be using square black table legs. Table size 1800 x 900

For the table top, I was hoping to short cut a little bit and use some laminated panels to have 3 panels 300mm panels across. I was wondering whether the panels on offer at bunnings would be suitable for this method and if the materials would last outdoors.

Panels I am looking at:

Acacia Timber Panel

Spotted Gum Timber Panel

Merbau Timber Panel

Beech Timber Panel

Clear Pine Timber Panel

I am aware that some materials are only suitable for indoor use, however was hoping to get your opinions!

Thanks all,

Ryan

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is suitable for an outdoor dining tabletop?

Hello @Ry

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your outdoor dining table.

Among those you've mentioned only two are applicable for outdoor use. The Merbau Timber Panel and the Beech Timber Panel. Please note that both panels will need to acclimate for a period of time before they settle into their final size. It is vital that the table-top be sealed both above, below and all around to prevent moisture damage. 

The only other timber that comes to mind is Sienna MicroPro slabs. Although on the thicker side these sleepers will provide a long service life. Have a look at this discussion - Custom industrial outdoor table by @ogosh

Let me tag our experienced members @woodenwookie and @Yorky88 for their recommendations.

Here are some fantastic outdoor tables our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects