Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way of installing polycarbonate roofing sheets?

husainZahid
Finding My Feet

What is the best way of installing polycarbonate roofing sheets?

I have purchased some Suntuf polycarbonate sheets and am planning on installing these in my yard. In most installations, I have seen the grooves perpendicular to the batons. Will there be a problem if I install the sheets parallel to the timber batons?

Mario51
Getting Established

Re: What is the best way of installing polycarbonate roofing sheets

Should be ok but determine weather outcome and channeling of water. Make sure you use appropriate fixings that have polyethylene washers and you drill 10mm holes in polycarb. The washers will cover. The sheets need to breath and if you don’t drill that size hole you will have problems in cracking the sheet. 

All tje best. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @husainZahid

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's magnificent to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about polycarbonate roofing.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Mario51. Although polycarbonate is tough, it does tend to bow in extreme heat and especially if there is no support underneath. It is the recommended method on the Suntuf installation guide that you have purlins running along the length of the installation area.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your polycarbonate roofing installed.  

Here is a handy link: Suntuf Installation Guide 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @EricL and @Mario51 for responding to my newbie question. I have read the installation guide and it mentions "All profiled polycarbonate sheets require purlins or battens for fixing.  These structural lengths of timber or metal run perpendicular to the fall of the sheet". I am planning on fixing the sheets along the length of the battens meaning there won't be any support across the width of the sheets. Will that cause any problem?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @husainZahid

If you don't have purlins attached as recommended by the Suntuf installation guide, there will not be enough areas to screw onto. The Suntuf will not be able to withstand windy weather if it is only attached to a single point.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects