Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What material to use for an outdoor nativity scene?

geebee
Just Starting Out

What material to use for an outdoor nativity scene?

I want to build an outdoor nativity scene - I have the pattern for it -- but I do not know what sort of wood/material to use for it. I need it to be waterproof - easy to cut - some people have suggested plywood - others - core flute - Acoustic Panels Polyester Board - does anyone have any suggestions that may work for an outdoor nativity that sits in the yard for about one month over Xmas then gets packed away. I want to be able to paint it as well so it has to be paintable.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What material to use

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @geebee. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

I'd recommend marine grade plywood as the best medium to use for this project. You can cut it with a jigsaw into complex shapes and sand it down to a smooth finish. You'll want to over-coat your paint with a suitable sealer, and I'd suggest Boyle 400g Clear Gloss Spray Sealer.

If you seal the paintwork in, your nativity scene should last many years constructed from plywood.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects