Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What materials for building a backyard pergola?

Harry2
Just Starting Out

What materials for building a backyard pergola?

I am looking to build a backyard pergola. Total size of the pergola is 20 square meters.(5m length and 4M width ). The existing floor is concrete . What size posts should I use and what do I use to attach it to the concrete. The roof I would like to use clear roof sheeting. Any suggestions on this as well?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: building a backyard pergola

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Harry2. It's amazing that you've joined us, and many thanks for your question about building a pergola.

I'd suggest starting your project by following these useful step-by-step guides: How to build a pergola, How to build a pergola frame and How to construct a pergola roof

You could use either 88 x 88mm 2.4m H3 Clear Primed FJ Laminated LOSP Pine PostWoodhouse Weatherproof 88 x 88mm 2.4m H3 LOSP Laminated and Primed Pine Post or Merbau 90 x 90mm 2.4m DAR Laminated Post for the uprights. They can be attached to your concrete with Pryda Post Anchor Bolt Down w Raised Mount 90mm M10Pryda Post Anchor Full Stirrup 65 x 90mm M10 or HanDIY 90 x 90 - 100 x 100mm MODTRIM Post Cover And Support Kit for a more finished look. These mounts will be Dynabolted down to your concrete slab.

Clear roof sheeting is one of the many options you could consider. Remember, although you'll have fantastic light transmission, the heat transmission is exceptionally high on clear sheeting. So if this pergola was designed to make the area more comfortable in summer, you might want to think about something in the SolarSmart range instead.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects