Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What materials would be needed to replicate this volleyball target hoop ?

altalt29
Getting Established

What materials would be needed to replicate this volleyball target hoop ?

Hello ! I'm a coach and current player and have found that this equipment is overly priced to buy through normal sports retailers, so I am looking to cut some corners and build one myself. But am not a handyman or been one for DIY projects previously. Could anyone familiar with materials and DIY give some advice on what things I would need to purchase to make this come to life please ? 

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 7.27.50 pm.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-01 at 7.28.26 pm.pngScreen Shot 2023-11-01 at 7.28.40 pm.png

Volleyball Target Hoop There is another link to a video where you may be able to take a closer look at. Thank you for any advice !!

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 7.29.15 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What materials would be needed to replicate this hoop ?

Hello @altalt29 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about replicating a Volleyball Target Hoop.

I was looking through the Bunnings website and was wondering if a Netball Ring With Stand Portable Pole Height Adjustable in combination with a Basketball Return Net - Ball Returner Basketball Rebounder will work for you? 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their suggestions.

I have one more idea, but I will need to double check the parts to make sure that it can be assembled. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: What materials would be needed to replicate this volleyball target hoop ?

Good Mornng @altalt29 

Well I just learned something new, I didnt know that bunnings has basketball hoops/stands or return shutes! :smile: 

I like @EricL 's suggestions but not sure how to change the angle of the hoop itself. Looking at the piviot point in your photos it reminds me of a part that is familure :smile: I might take a wander through Bunnings metal product aisle to see if it can prompt my memory. 

That yellow stand looks like something the metal extrudsion aisle will have in parts, that join between the hoop and the stand is my main baulking point.

Will have have a think and get back to you. :smile:

Dave

altalt29
Getting Established

Re: What materials would be needed to replicate this hoop ?

I think those suggestions are definitely in the right vein of what I need. My worry though with using basketball hoops in similar scenarios that I have done before, is they are a bit small. Volleyball has a lot of accuracy in it, but basketball and netball hoops are a bit too small for efficient training with them. The plus of the examples I have shown is that they are larger hoops that allow for an area to be the target rather than the hoop itself being the main objective. Not sure if that makes sense, but that's why it does worry me a bit to use a standard hoop from those sports. In shorter terms, less room for error with standard basketball/netball hoops. 

The ideal is the adjustable netball pole, with a larger hoop and maybe some netting that comes down to the floor (like in the photo) to ensure the balls aren't bouncing everywhere after they go into the target. I might look at the adjustable netball pole in person and see if I can figure out a way to make my own sort of 'hoop' to a size that works a bit better for the intention of the equipment. And then just find some netting and attach it to the makeshift hoop haha. 

altalt29
Getting Established

This version seems easily replicated, maybe in comparison to the original ones I had shown. https://www.amazon.com.au/Sports-Indoor-Outdoor-Adjustable-Target/dp/B0036EZZZW?th=1 

Looks like PVC pipes etc 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

You have me thinking @altalt29 

The metal tubing could definently be used if you have access to a grinder.

Metal tubing search results 

metal tube joiners search results 

The only bit I cantthink of as an easy work is that pivit between the basket and the pole.

I had another thought if you would rather a round hoop you could have a look for "Metal fabrication" in your area and they may be able to weld a hoop easily and cheeper for you.

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @altalt29,

Have you considered building one of these out of timber? I've created the rendering below for you to show an option for the design.

Mitchell

net.png

Wow this is definitely an amazing alternate design. Might be easier to make instead of having to combine a lot of various materials. Do you feel it will be durable in the long run? I am also curious about the ring itself. Would it also be timber or would that be hard to find / make big enough? Let  me know your thoughts!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A ring made from 1200 x 596mm 18mm Plywood Pine BC Grade would be fairly robust @altalt29. The wider you can make the ring walls, the stronger it will be. I guess it depends on what level of players we are talking about here. Is it designed for targeted serving or spikes? I played representative volleyball, and if it is for spikes, then I have concerns about the longevity of the ring. Perhaps instead of a ring, you could cut a circle out of a panel, as that would be stronger.

Mitchell

No it wouldn't be used for hitting. It's being used for setting and passing target practice for smaller group trainings and private sessions. So the speed of the ball going through would never be too fast. So in theory it should hold up okay ? Worse comes to worse I patch up some parts in a couple years hahaha. The circle cut out is also a great option. Thank you! If I showed this render to a team member in person would they be able to help me locate the materials that would be best? I am afraid I'm not building things often so this is a new adventure for me!  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects