Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What size base for a 4m round market umbrella?

Minty
Cultivating a Following

What size base for a 4m round market umbrella?

Hello Community, 

Just wanting some advice on what size base for a 4m round market umbrella would be suitable?

Also, whether any particular base type is better than another, ie granite, concrete, water, tiles, etc. 

Thank you!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What size base for a 4m round market umbrella?

Hi @Minty,

Any of the bases will be fine for your umbrella. However, if you plan to move it often, I'd suggest you consider one with built-in wheels as they are quite heavy. If you plan on leaving the umbrella up when not attended, I recommend you go for a 25kg base, as the lighter ones are not heavy enough for windy conditions. In saying that, you should really pull the umbrella down when high winds are expected. 

If you don't plan to move the umbrella around and are prepared to lower it when unattended, then you'd be able to pick the base that you find most appealing. I love these new granite bases.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Minty
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell

Thanks so much for your prompt reply!

Your advice is really helpful as I have been given different responses from different people. In particular, I was advised to get a base between 35-37kg for a 4m round market umbrella, based on the assumption that the bigger the umbrella is then the heavier the base is needed. For example, a 3m market umbrella = 25kg base and a 4m market umbrella = 35kg+ base. That logic sounds reasonable to me but the 35kg+ bases are extraordinarily heavy and I would not be able to lift or move them at all probably not even on wheels. 

Great to see that I do have options and I appreciate your time in providing them to me. I will definitely heed your advice and not go lower than 25kg for the 4m umbrella, and its also good to know that I don't have to go in excess of 30kg either. Do you know what type and size of umbrella the 35kg+ bases would be suitable for then? Must have to be some pretty big umbrellas!

Until I sort my backyard out properly I will probably be moving the umbrella around a bit see where it suits best, although I will definitely lower it when conditions are windy. 

I love the granite bases too!

Thanks again Mitchell!

Minty

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Your 4m umbrella would not be much heavier than a 3m umbrella @Minty. It's really the extra surface area of it and its ability to tip over a base in high winds that would warrant a heavier base. However, if you had a 35kg base and left the umbrella up in high winds, although it might not tip over due to the heavy base, chances are that the canopy would be destroyed.

I'd go with a 25kg base, and if, for some reason, the umbrella keeps tipping over, you can always return the base and try to locate a 35kg version. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Morning @Minty and @MitchellMc 

"I have been given different responses from different people"

Two more suggestion then. I wholeheartedly recommend Mitchell's suggestion of utilising wheels. One of my first base creations was concrete. I used a hot water sheet metal frame as the basis of the shape to hold the rather complicated articulated arm that supports the umbrella. Holds steady in a hurricane - but I can no longer lift or move it.

20231002_102513.jpg

A better design was with steel - and wheels.

20231002_102535.jpg

Just long weekend thoughts.

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects