Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What timber for pergola posts and beam?

smalldiy
Just Starting Out

What timber for pergola posts and beam?

Hi All,

Long time watcher and learned a lot from the community thanks to all community member. I am thinking for pergola frame but not sure which timber can fit nicely.  I would like to have timber look and saw boral hardwood timber but not sure which posts can match with this hardwood as beam. https://www.bunnings.com.au/boral-120-x-45mm-3-6m-f27-kd-solid-seasoned-structural-hardwood_p8300527

Is there any other options/timber i can use? This frame is for pergola which going to hold existing roof removing old support.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What timber for pergola posts and beam?

Hi @smalldiy,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Great to see that you have already got lots of value from other members' posts. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have a project to share. 

I'm sure @EricL and other helpful members like @tom_builds will be happy to assist as soon as possible, but in the meantime, have you got a plan of what you want to build that you could share with us? I'm sure it would help members to be in a better position to recommend the right timber to use. 

Many thanks, we are looking forward to seeing your pergola project come to life. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @smalldiy

Thank you for joining us and sharing your question about what timber to use for the pergola posts and beam.

The Boral 120 x 45mm 3.6m F27 KD Solid Seasoned Structural Hardwood is a seasoned structural timber and is ideal for all structural applications including sub-floor construction, stair components, highly loaded truss members, wall lintels over openings, and high strength structural beams. However, I will have to ask our provider if it will work for inground applications.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your plan and where you plan to anchor it? This will give us a better idea of what you would like to build and allow us to give you a more comprehensive recommendation. We look forward to seeing your plans.

Here is a handy link to give you ideas: How to build a pergola

We look forward to hearing from you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
smalldiy
Just Starting Out

Thanks @Jason and @EricL. i am still working on planning. Once i get plan and drawing i will come back.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects